Board Meeting Minutes – August 29, 2017

Date:                           Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Location:                     Campagnolo, 1020 Main Street

Call to Order:              Scott Jaeger 1h38 pm

Roll Call:                      Céline Turenne

Board Attendance:      Robert Belcham, Darren Clay, Scott Jaeger, Celine Turenne

Guests:                        Genevieve Dufresne, Victor Girardi, Colin Stauss

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from June 27, 2017

1st:Robert Belcham;  2nd:Scott Jaeger

____________________________________________________________________________

 1. Financial Report 

In the bank: 78k (figures will be adjusted after end of month financials are completed) 

  1. Membership 

Members: 298 (includes chefs and volunteers participating in last event)

Advise our chefs’ member that their foodsafe now has an expiration date:  “As of July 29 2013, all FOODSAFE Level 1 certificates issued in British Columbia have a five-year expiry date.  FOODSAFE Level 1 certificates issued prior to July 29, 2013, are valid until July 29, 2018.” CTS will provide additional information on renewal. 

  1. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee 

            No report 

  1. Marketing & Branding 
  • Completed surveys were not sent by all Board members – PLEASE COMPLETE AND SEND YOUR SURVEY – Celine to follow-up
  • Robert to compile information received to date
  • Robert suggested sending survey to members – Celine to organize via SurveyMonkey 
  1. 2017 EVENTS 

The Board recognizes the excellent work done by Genevieve Dufresne from Townhall Brands on PR activities for our events. 

The Board also recognizes the excellent work done by Kathleen Beveridge on social media to promote our events.

  • Wild Salmon Celebration – a successful event!
  • Sold out event – 200 tickets sold;
  • Very positive feedback from guests, wineries and participating chefs
  • Venue set-up and location was spectacular
  • Problem with tear down and clean-up afterwards: hire a team to do the work before/after event – plan for 4 to 5 workers @ $15.00 an hour for 5 hours = $300.00
  • Plan a meeting with Wild Salmon Marketing Council to share feedback – Chris offered to attend; Celine to coordinate with ED from Marketing Council
  • For all events, chairing chefs to communicate with invited chefs to review logistics and portions to make sure that the brief is met (size and number of portions)

***Review of spot prawns food poisoning situation:  Celine to send a official recap of situation to all board members***

  • Mosimann event cancelled – Scott/Neil to contact Sean Cousins at Vancouver Club to let him know
  • September 12 – Chef meets Truck
  • 8 chefs but only 7 trucks - Peter Fong will be set-up in a tent on his own. Celine and Genevieve to change message being promoted.
  • Ticket sales need a push
  • FASE permit still pending; Celine to follow-up
  • VCH temporary food permit pending; Danny is looking after it
  • U-Haul van to be rented to allow for storage of items before, during and after event as well as for pick-up and deliveries
  • Student volunteers are from Northwest.
  • Tear down crew to be organized – Celine to provide a detailed plan of what goes where (Colin will take care of it).
  • Review of other possible locations for event.
  • October 15 – Slow Fish Dinner
  • Addition of a desert service: Beta5 is confirmed; 250 portions
  • All chefs are confirmed – Robert has received 4 chefs info sheets back – to be sent to Celine
  • List of fish product is confirmed
  • Wines: Costanza to confirm – wineries form Wild Salmon Celebration would probably participate.
  • November - Greatest Bake Sale Ever! – details to be confirmed (Chairs: Neil Wyles, Christine Beard) – Neil to discuss event – FROZEN items to be sold. – rent trucks for freezer
  • Robert Belcham to set-up meeting with event company to review how a partnership might benefit CTS. 
  1. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee 

No report 

  1. Miscellaneous 

N/A

____________________________________________________________________________

Adjournment:  by  Scott Jaeger @ 3h05

Next meeting: Tuesday, September 26, 2017 @ 1h30 pm

Location:         Campagnolo upstairs, 1020 Main Street

Board Meeting Minutes – June 27, 3017

Date:                           Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Location:                     Campagnolo, 1020 Main Street

Call to Order:              Scott Jaeger 1h31 pm

Roll Call:                      Céline Turenne

Board Attendance:      Robert Belcham, Darren Clay, Scott Jaeger, Danny Markowicz, Alex Tung, Celine Turenne, Neil Wyles

Guests:                        Victor Girardi, Colin Stauss

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from May 30, 2017

1st: Danny Markowicz;  2nd:: Robert Belcham

____________________________________________________________________________ 

  1. Financial Report

       In the bank: 74.2 k

  1. Membership

 Members: 280 

  1. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee

             No report 

  1. Marketing & Branding
  •  Culinary Library – marketing survey everyone is on the same page – Robert to compile; a reminder will be sent to all board members who have yet to fill out the survey;
  • Marketing plan – UBC Sauder business school; part 2 of the process; better define our steps forward; define who we are today;
  • Next steps:
  • Redefine web site; quarterly news letter; social media:
  • Celine to contact Kathleen Beveridge to discuss her taking over social media; offer tickets for events?
  • Open up social media to all board servers;
  • Dominic (IT) to automate so everything sends back and forth between web site and social media;
  • All board members to feed that person?
  • Buying gift certificate from members to give to helpers – ask our members
  • Vote for a quote on a web site: content – Colin is volunteering for reviewing pics and build the outline of a new web site; Celine to send link;
  • Create committee to increase participation – bring in fresh blood – passion to be transmitted to others – each board member to single out members who are active in the community and ask them to join.
  • Why do they want to become involved with Chefs’ Table? Positive change for the culinary community – content and library... legacy aspect is key

Board member to bring in additional chefs – how do you want to contribute? How do you want to be more involved? List of chefs will be sent separately to each board member.

Add a line as to how they could contribute to help out? Occupation? Special skills?

  • Celine to send letter to remaining board members; create list of potential people to get the letter; add contacts to the list. – To be organized over the summer once a plan is more detailed 
  1. 2017 EVENTS

August 26 -  BC Wild Salmon Festival (Chairs:  Chris Whittaker, Ryan Bissell):

  • event planning moving along,
  • timing of event is conflicting with Canada 150th celebrations (same date);
  • Celine to talk to Mike Loy and verify availability and timing.

September 12 - Chef meets Truck (Chairs:   Alex Tung, Danny Markowicz) :

  • event planning moving along;
  • Alex to send recap email to Celine so ticket information and PR can be organized.

September 23 – Chef Anton Mosimann (Neil is coordinating Vancouver Club, Scott is coordinating Chefs):

  • event planning is underway;
  • Neil and Scott to meet with Sean to discuss logistics.
  • CTS to donate an auction dinner to Les Dames d’Escoffier gala.
  • Invitation to schools – 50 supporters; events for chefs and supporters;

October 15 – Slow Fish Dinner – (Chairs: Darren Clay, Robert Belcham): Darren and Robert to meet and discuss.

  • November - Greatest Bake Sale Ever! – details to be confirmed (Chairs: Neil Wyles, Christine Beard) – Neil to discuss event – FROZEN items to be sold. – rent trucks for freezer
  • 2018 “Dinner with a chef” – project for next year; world renowned chef to be invited?

2020 chefs’ event:.

  • All board members have indicated they want to participate in the planning committees to create to start planning process.
  • Timing considered: June or early September.
  • Locations considered: TBC  
  1. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee

             One submission from Okanagan -

  1. Miscellaneous

 No items

____________________________________________________________________________

Adjournment:  by  Scott Jaeger @ 3h06

Next meeting: Tuesday, August 29, 2017 @ 1h30 pm

Location:         Campagnolo upstairs, 1020 Main Street

 

 

 

Board Meeting Minutes – May 30, 2017

Date:                           Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Location:                     Campagnolo, 1020 Main Street

Call to Order:              Scott Jaeger @ 1h30 pm

Roll Call:                      Céline Turenne

Board Attendance:      Robert Belcham, Ryan Bissell, Darren Clay, Scott Jaeger, Alex Tung, Céline Turenne, Chris Whittaker, Neil Wyles

Guests:                        Christine Beard, Colin Stauss

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from April 25, 2017

1st: Chris Whittaker; 2nd Ryan Bissell

____________________________________________________________________________

  1. Financial Report
  • 80k in the bank – 3.6k outstanding SPF expenses
  • Motion: It is requested that an expenditure of $2500 to $3000 to resolve outstanding income tax situation be accepted -  Motion passed
  1. Membership

Members: 276

  1. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee

            No report

  1. Marketing & Branding
  • Culinary Library - Sauders School of Business was contacted through Fred Lee’s contact to see if we can get support for the development of our business plan through. We missed the May 1 deadline for application and will apply in the fall.  This will give us time to organize the project and supply a more structure plan.
  • Celine to send letter to remaining board members; create list of potential people to get the letter; add contacts to the list. – To be organized over the summer once a plan is more detailed
  • Celine to follow up with Roberta (Farmers’ Market): no response received to date after follow-up done via email – FOLLOW UP DONE, no answer received
  • Picture of the board to be taken at the AGM – POSTPONED
  1. 2017 EVENTS
  • May 13 - Spot Prawn Festival postmortem
  • This event is now a board event – no Chair;
  • ED will organize all logistical details and coordinate as in past years;
  • Each chef on the board will be assigned an area of responsibility;
  • August 26 -  BC Wild Salmon Festival (Chairs:  Chris Whittaker, Ryan Bissell) concept to be defined; budget is approved and moving forward; stay away  from word “festival”;
  • September 12 - Chef meets Truck (Chairs:   Alex Tung, Danny Markowicz) - Yaletown chefs 3 to 4 chefs – YBIA is a sponsor again this year; all permits have been requested: Liquor permit on hand, FASE (Film and Special Event) permit in progress, Green plan submitted.
  • September 23 – Chef Anton Mosimann (Neil is coordinating Vancouver Club, Scott is coordinating Chef (s))
    • send a priority invitation to our chef members; contact Culinary Schools
    • Talk to include all chefs participating in the dinner
    • Saturday pm. Dinner at Vancouver Club dinner for 12 on site
    • how many people classroom style? Celine to follow up with Katie at VC
    • Les dames are paying for travel expenses – CTS will donate a silent auction item;
  • October 15 – Slow Fish Dinner – (Chairs: Darren Clay, Robert Belcham) - Jesse Vergen is confirmed;
  • November - Greatest Bake Sale Ever! – details to be confirmed (Chairs: Neil Wyles, Christine Beard)
  • 2018 “Dinner with a chef” – project for next year; world renowned chef to be invited?
  • 2020 chefs’ event
  • in conjunction with event organizer; at what cost? Partnership? Meeting to be organized be Robert Belcham to meet organizer (with ED)
  • Chefs / supporters wanting to get involved – please advise by next board meeting on June 27.
  1. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee

No report

  1. Miscellaneous
  • Tent canopy replacement: stock item purchased for $200 – do we need to order a made to measure one – Mike Loy to suggest a place to have it altered
  • Proposed sponsorship money to Christine Beard to ship “Agatha” to Montreal for the Chocolate Masters Competition for a maximum of $1000.00 to cover total expenses. Accepted unanimously.

____________________________________________________________________________

Adjournment:  14h55 by  Scott Jaeger

Next meeting: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 @ 1h30 pm

Location:         Campagnolo upstairs, 1020 Main Street

Board Meeting Minutes – April 25, 2017

Date:                            Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Location:                      Campagnolo, 1020 Main Street

Call to Order:                Scott Jaeger at 13:55

Roll Call:                       Céline Turenne

Board Attendance:        Christine Beard, Robert Belcham, Darren Clay, Sid Cross, Ryan Bissell, Scott Jaeger, Jamie Maw, Danny Markowicz, Alex Tung, Celine Turenne, Chris Whittaker, Neil Wyles

Guests:                         Genevieve Dufresne, Robert Clark

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from March 28, 2017

1st:Robert Belcham; 2nd Danny Markowicz

___________________________________________________________________________

  1. Financial Report

 60k + 3 in Eventbrite + 8.5 in receivables = 71.5 in the bank

  1. Membership

 Members: 207 + students from VCC + SPF volunteers and chefs = 250

  1. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee

            No Report

  1. Marketing & Branding
  • Business plan: 3 to 6k – not for profit price to create a business plan– alternative is to seek grad or post grad student at Saunders school to take in on during the summer; Celine to follow-up

Jamie Maw offered to look at numbers and Sid Cross to look at legal

  • Picture of the board to be taken at the AGM – POSTPONED
  • Celine to send letter to remaining board members; create list of potential people to get the letter; add contacts to the list.
  • Celine to follow up with Roberta (Farmers’ Market): no response received to date after follow-up done via email
  1. 2017 EVENTS
  • May 13 - Spot Prawn Festival: update see notes
    • Review of demo details – Ned not in attendance so Celine reviewed details – all is in place
    • Review of boil details – meeting is scheduled with Ned for May 1 to finalize side dishes
    • Overall organization – fence? It is a go ahead for liability purposes
  • AUGUST 13 – BC Wild Salmon Festival –

PROPOSAL FROM ROBERT CLARK (@ 2:15pm)

BC Wild Salmon Marketing Council has approached Rob to give it the last kick in the can.  PPFA and Salmon Marketing – Steve Richards.   Asked by council to see what possibilities are and what can be done.

- PSF and Marketing Council – have an idea about what to do: combine with Pink Salmon Festival (last Sunday of August)

-fly in 5 chefs from across the country flights and accommodations – pink salmon recipe competition – chowder chowdown type event-

- Friday: chefs paired with 5 restaurants – cook a salmon menu – chefs at no cost to do a dinner – CTS chefs chosen for pairing –

- Saturday: organize an event like the curry cup and recipes are presented to public (ticketed event) – Townhall advised, Salmon Safe wines?

- Sunday: Pink salmon festival –  Robert Clark

  • September - Chef meets Truck – Tuesday September 12
  • October – Slow Fish Dinner – Sunday October 15
  • November - Greatest Bake Sale Ever! – details to be confirmed
  1. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee

No report

  1. Miscellaneous
  • StreetSmart Canada (overview by Jamie Maw) – presentation by Janice in June (TBC); Gordon Ramsay is involved in UK - big in Commonwealth countries;

Ron Josephson is running it in Vancouver;

Dates: November/December in Vancouver harvest money via table card asking table to give a dollar or more to the project; 300 restaurants in Victoria, Vancouver, Okanagan and Whistler; POS people discussion;

2k per restaurant on average beneficiary organization food bank direct training young people to go on.

  • Tent canopy replacement: stock item purchased for $200
  • Various requests (sponsorships and participation) – ok

New business idea

Chef Anton Mosimann will be in Vancouver; CTS to organize an event on September 23 at Vancouver Club (Neil to contact Sean Cousins) Is CTS donating scholarship? Sean could donate hotel room?

___________________________________________________________________________

Adjournment:    3h15 pm

Next meeting:    Tuesday, May 30, 2017 @ 1h30 pm

Location:          Campagnolo upstairs, 1020 Main Street

Board Meeting Minutes – March 28, 2017

Date:                            Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Location:                     Campagnolo, 1020 Main Street

Call to Order:              Scott Jaeger @ 14h00

Roll Call:                      Céline Turenne

Board Attendance:     Robert Belcham, Ned Bell, Scott Jaeger, Danny Markowicz, Celine Turenne

Guests:                         Genevieve Dufresne, Leeann Froese, Colin Staus, Victor Girardi, Rob Clark

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from February 28, 2017

1st: Scott Jaeger; 2nd Robert Belcham

___________________________________________________________________________

  1.  Financial Report

 70 k in the bank

  1. Membership

Members: 180 +

  1. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee

            No report

  1. Marketing & Branding
  • Picture of the board to be taken at the AGM – Robert and Danny away – NOT ENOUGH MEMBERS IN ATTENDANCE – POSTPONED
  • Potential for library – space on East Hastings is still available; 119 k asked for – 88 refused – Neil to see if negotiations are possible; letter created for sponsorship for people within the industry to give money
  • Celine to send letter to remaining board members; create list of potential people to get the letter; add contacts to the list.
  • SJ: set target with more detailed “what’s in it for you”; donations tiers – goal of investment – business plan with cash flow to be organized;
  • Hire someone to write a business plan budget $1k
  • YVR prep reviewed
  • Celine to follow up with Roberta (Farmers’ Market)
  1. 2017 EVENTS
  • March - Curry Cup: highest profit ever;
  • May - Spot Prawn Festival & membership drive;
  1. Side dishes: sponsors for all;
  2. Volunteers: more chefs than we need; no restriction on inviting Chefs from outside CTS to demo;
  3. Email to Darren re permitting etc – temporary food permit only
  4. Door to door service of sides (Ned to follow-up with Mark Hills); pay for drivers?
  5. Mark: give tickets to Slow Fish
  6. Bucket with scrub brush to clean truck
  7. Ned to work on Oceanwise’s participation
  8. Create PLAN for tear down
  9. Milk crates for sitting?
  10. Ice selling?
  11. PRICE update: $19.75 (date to be determined)
  12. Music: Cassandra or new act?
  13. Coast guard –for the fishing ships; Police escort or Coast guard escort for the fishing vessels - Writing a letter to the Police or Coast Guards
  14. May - Spot Prawn Festival cooking classes (Darren)? – are we doing them? No decision yet.
  • September - Chef meets Truck – DATE: Second week September
  • BC Wild Salmon Festival (Chris W ; Ryan B co-chair) – DATE: end of September/October; suggestion made for a roaming dinner at Vancouver Club; Steve Richards will present to board/members and get back to us.
  • Note: 2000lb given for free last Sunday of August at Vanier Park for Pink Salmon Festival; Chum celebration every year;
  • Brewery and Beast want to be involved with CTS – Robert B to follow up
  • October: - Slow Fish Dinner – DATE:October 15 – postponed due to other events; Celine    to follow  up on fish availability at that time.
  • November - Greatest Bake Sale Ever! (Chair: Neil Wyles; co-chair: Christine Beard)
  1. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee

      No report

  1. Miscellaneous
  • Tent canopy replacement (Neil) – temporary fix done by Wharf
  • Various requests (sponsorships and participation);
  • Auction item sent for VCC dinner
  • Input for Sheri’s proposal
  • YVR prep info
  • Broadway International Wine Shop (postponed to next meeting)
  • Context Travel – docent for Granville Island food tours
  • Project Chef Program Evaluation
  • Asked by Western Living – foodies of the year to Leeann.

___________________________________________________________________________

Adjournment:     3:20 pm

Next meeting:    Tuesday, April 25, 2017 @ 2h00 pm

Location:           Campagnolo upstairs, 1020 Main Street

Board Meeting Minutes – February 28, 2017

Date:                          Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Location:                   PICA, 1505 West 2nd Venue

Call to Order:            Scott Jaeger @ 14h01

Roll Call:                    Céline Turenne

Board Attendance:   Ryan Bissell, Darren Clay, Scott Jaeger, Alex Tung, Celine Turenne, Neil Wyles

Guests:                         Maddie Clerides, Genevieve Dufresne, Leeann Froese, Mark Hills, Kristian Leidig

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from January 31, 2017

1st:Ryan Bissell; 2nd: Darren Clay

___________________________________________________________________________

  1. Financial Report

63.5 k in the bank

  1. Membership
  • Members: 180
  1. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee

            No report

  1. Marketing & Branding
  • Picture of the board to be taken at the AGM – Robert and Danny away – NOT ENOUGH MEMBERS IN ATTENDANCE - POSTPONED
  1. 2017 EVENTS
  • February: PICA Kitchen Party – to be repeated; very successful, all feedback was positive and post mortem to be scheduled.
  • March - Curry Cup: all planning is done, ticket sales are going really well and will be the hightest to date.
  • May - Spot Prawn Festival – CONFIRMED DATE: Saturday May 13, 2017; Celine to have meeting with Ned on Tuesday March 7. Truck from Hills Foods is confirmed; looking for a sponsor for the cooking stage Sysco/Trimpack (?)
  • May - Spot Prawn Festival cooking classes (Darren)? – are we doing them? No decision yet.
  • September - Chef meets Truck – DATE: Second week September

- Slow Fish Dinner – DATE:October 15 – postponed due to other events; Celine    to follow  up on fish availability at that time.

- BC Wild Salmon Festival – DATE: end of September

  • November - Greatest Bake Sale Ever! (Chair: Neil Wyles; cochair: Christine Beard)
  1. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee

      No report

  1. Miscellaneous
  • Tent canopy replacement (Neil)
  • Various requests (sponsorships and participation); auction item to be sent for VCC dinner Celine to handle
  • Request for sampling at SPF? Celine to follow-up on request and see if $ donation is involved.
  • INGREDIENT OF THE YEAR? Seaweed; Supplier:  North Arm Farm; Celine to send email to Board
  • Earls: golf tournament for staff; awards night: event in Kelowna – 180 people 3-course dinner; CTS to do it 12k revenue; food donated; scheduled for August

____________________________________________________________________________

Adjournment:    2h33

Next meeting:    Tuesday, March 28, 2017 @ 2h00 pm

Location:          Campagnolo upstairs, 1020 Main Street

 

Board Meeting Minutes – January 31, 2017

Date:                            Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Location:                      Campagnolo, 1020 Main St.

Call to Order:                Robert Belcham at 1:58 pm

Roll Call:                       Céline Turenne

Board Attendance:        Eric Arrouze, Roberl Belcham, Ryan Bissell, Sid Cross, Daren Clay, Scott Jaeger, Danny Markowicz, Alex Tung, Neil Wyles, Céline Turenne

Guests: Leeann Froese, Maddie Clerides, Genevieve Dufresne

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from November 28, 2016

First:Ryan Bissell; Second: Alex Tung

___________________________________________________________________________

  1. Financial Report

60 k in the bank

  1. Membership
  • Members: 169
  • Membership drive suggested by Alex – discuss at February meeting; update web site select a date and post on their social media; create a template for all to use answering 2 questions: why did you join CTS and/or why are you on the board  Link to BELONG campaign

Townhall to come up with:  Why did you join? Why does the society exist?

Target:  March/April with follow and sign at SPF

  1. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee

             No report

  1. Marketing & Branding
  • Web site: post AGM date on Facebook and invitation to all members (Celine)
  • Picture of the board to be taken at the AGM – Robert and Danny away
  • Investment project: space still being researched and investors/donors will be contacted
  • Motion to go forward: unanimous; a committee to be organized to review viability of project and create business/marketing plan.
  1. 2017 EVENTS
  • February: Wine Festival - PICA Kitchen Party (Darren)
  • March - Curry Cup (Neil and Eric)
  • CHEFS: still need some chefs
  • FOLLOW-UP: inclusion of chefs from other areas: Island chef collaborative (Robert to follow-up) and Okanagan chefs society (Ned to follow-up) – this applies to all event’s participation – not at this time
  • Judges: al confirmed
  • FOLLOW-UP: South China Seas as a sponsor (Neil to follow-up)
  • May - Spot Prawn Festival (Ned and ?  )

Tentative date:  Sunday Mary 28 – contact Steve Richards

  • May - Spot Prawn Festival cooking classes (Darren)
  • September - Chef meets Truck (chair:Alex; co-chair: Danny)

- Slow Fish Dinner (Darren and Robert B   )

  • WHEN? BC Salmon Festival – (chair: Chris? – Ryan)
  • November - Greatest Bake Sale Ever! (Chair: Neil cochair: Christine)
  • Sushi Showdown: sushi places to compete and push oceanwise postponed to 2018
  1. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee
  • BCHF scholarships: event recap – January 22 event; 5 scholarships given; very successful event held at White Spot;  still awaiting pictures and press release from event (BCHF); CTS gave $300 for travel to one of the winner
  • Michael Risel world final for the Chaine des Rotisserus – practice run in restaurants – Scott suggested topping of expenses: $ ? – follow-up required to see what is not covered;  suggestion made by Celine to create an auction item at the Chaine des Rotisseurs AGM to help with financing Michael, Scott further developed by suggesting chefs form CTS organize a dinner.
  • FOLLOW-UP: Mentoring program: assign a chef for the next year to ask questions offer stages… give contact information; Danny to coordinate
  1. AGM
  • Venue? PICA
  • By-law review (Sid) will be presented at the next AGM
  • Guest presentation: Vancouver Farmer’s Market? Guest – they need to define what they want from CTS
  • Board composition? Christine Beard to join Board
  • Email to reconfirm that all are back
  • New chair: Education
  • Campaign to invite members to come to events and volunteer
  1. Miscellaneous
  • Tent canopy replacement (Neil)
  • Various requests (sponsorships and participation); auction item to be sent for VCC dinner
  • Presentation by Dawn Kelly (14h31) – current member;
  1. Secondary School Education Program: fundraising dinner to generate money
  2. Off cuts fundraiser calendar in Calgary; hope to raise 44k from the calendar
  3. Celebrity Chef fundraising dinner: May 26 chef is required;
  • Earl’s: golf tournament for staff; awards’ night: event in Kelowna – 180 people 3-course dinner; CTS to do it; 12k revenue; food donated; scheduled for June…

________________________________________________________________________________

Adjournment:  Sid at 15h30

Next meeting:  Tuesday, February 28, 2017 @ 2h00 pm

Location:  PICA (Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts, 1505 West 2nd Avenue

Board Meeting Minutes – November 29, 2016

Date:                            Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Location:                      Campagnolo, 1020 Main St.

Call to Order:                Robert Belcham @ 2 pm

Roll Call:                       Céline Turenne

Board Attendance:        Eric Arrouze, Robert Belcham, Ned Bell, Ryan Bissell, Darren Clay, Sid Cross, Scott Jaeger, Danny Markowicz, Alex Tung, Celine Turenne, Chris Whittaker, Neil Wyles

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from September 27, 2016

First: Ryan Bissell; Second: Robert Belcham

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from October 25, 2016

First: Eric Arrouze; Second: Danny Markowicz

___________________________________________________________________________

  1. Financial Report

65 k in the bank – 7.5 k in expenses pending = 57.5k

  1. Membership

155 members

Membership drive suggested by Alex – all board members to use social medias; next step to be discussed at January meeting

  1. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee

Blue Fin Tuna talk – very well attended with representatives from various groups (NGO, fishers, chefs); other talks to be organized: wild salmon, shrimps/prawns, etc.

  1. Marketing & Branding
  • Suggestion was made by Ned to consider organizing another Chefs’ Congress – to be discussed further at January meeting
  • Celine met with Leeann Froese. Agreement with Townhall will be renewed for another 2-year term – signature of agreement to be scheduled.
  • T-shirts have been moved from Campagnolo to locker (General Store-All 1106 SW Marine Drive). Key has been left on site to allow access; contact Celine first so she can advise personnel to provide key.
  • T-shirts will be handed out at events to start lowering inventory on hand and eventually stop needing storage area.
  1. Curry Cup
  • Date: Monday March 6, 2017
  • Chefs suggestion: Neil would welcome suggestions from chefs about themes and participating chefs
  • Inclusion of chefs from other areas: Island chef collaborative (Robert to follow-up) and Okanagan chefs society (Ned to follow-up) – this applies to all events’ participation
  • Judges: Meeru and Vikram?
  • South China Seas as a sponsor (Neil to follow-up)
  • Neil and Eric to plan a meeting
  1. Spot Prawn Festival
  • Date TBC (Ned to follow-up)
  • Alternate site to be considered in case current site is under construction
  • Celine and Ned to meet early January to firm up festival outline (Celine to coordinate)
  • Festival is now broken down into parts with chefs overseeing each part
    1. Spot Prawns supply: day of event – weighing, supply chain
    2. Boil: coordination, staffing, serving
    3. Sides production, coordination
    4. Beverage sampling: coordination
    5. Education: NGO’s organizations
    6. Cooking demos: cooking stage
  1. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee
  • Aaron Hoffman scholarship: send letter to Scott re: scholarship (Celine to prepare) to be given with cheque
  • BCHF scholarships:5 chosen – travel? $500. Budget proposed – motion approved
  • Award ceremony will be in January at White Spot (sponsor)
  • All students (winners and proposed) along with instructors to be given membership
  • Mentoring program: assign a chef for the next year to ask questions offer stages… give contact information; Danny coordinate
  1. Miscellaneous
  • Presentation from Barb Koyanagi from Sprouting Chefs (sproutingchefs.com) - Edible education – would like to have chefs connect with the program and participate in the education process

Fundraiser: CTS provided a gift basket: next step: chefs to participate

Discussion: should CTS send a letter to government? To be discussed

  • By-law changes: Sid and Celine to review and propose amendments; to be agreed upon at AGM; new contact at law firm:  Jeffrey Thomas
  • Mailing address is now changed to Campagnolo’s: 1020 Main St., Vancouver BC V6A 2W1
  • AGM Date: Tuesday February 28 at 2 pm – everyone to consider renewing for one more year or finding suitable replacements for their committee.

 __________________________________________________________________________

Adjournment:  Scott Jaeger @ 3h35 pm

Next meeting:  Tuesday, January 31, 2017 @ 2h00 pm

Location:  Campagnolo, 1020 Main St.

Board Meeting Minutes – October 25, 2016

Date:                            Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Location:                       Campagnolo, 1020 Main St.

Call to Order:                 Robert Belcham @ 2h02 pm

Roll Call:                       Céline Turenne

Board Attendance:         Robert Belcham, Celine Turenne, Neil Wyles, Eric Arrouze

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from September 27, 2016 – postponed to November meeting

__________________________________________________________________________

  1. Financial Report

64 k in the bank

  1. Membership

158 members

  1. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee

No report

  1. Marketing & Branding

Robert Belcham will be participating in Island Chef Collaborative’s event “The Shaker” on December 4

  1. Curry Cup
  • Heritage Hall is booked for March 6;
  • Neil to ask chefs
  • Waste Management bin required to dispose of compostable – delivery at 6 pm and p/u early morning due to lack of space in the lane for the bin.
  1. Spot Prawn Festival
  • Start of planning Celine to present plan for upcoming SPF – postponed to November meeting
  1. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee – report from Danny via email
  • Aaron Hoffman has been contacted as the recipient of 2K from CTS (he has not responded, but I know he’s away) – cheque ready to be mailed;
  • As of this morning, I have 17 nominations from across the province for the BCHF scholarship
  • I have confirmed internally with White Spot team, and we are comfortable hosting an event where we can give out the BCHF scholarships.
  • I have not yet contacted Alan Sacks, but in theory, we are good to go for 35 ppl luncheon, and WS will pick up the cost of F&B.
  • To make this work, ideally, we need the event to happen between November 14 – December 8, or else is gets too busy with holidays..
  • I will make the short list of finalists, send a note to all the instructors thanking them for their nominations, and be prepared to announce the winners (internally) to BCHF and CTS by end of this week.
  • Maybe we could discuss the luncheon event over the phone before I reach out to Alan?...
  1. Miscellaneous
  • Growing Chefs silent auction prize – package prepared and delivered to PICA.
  • Fall/Winter sweet/dessert event – The Greatest Bake Sale Ever! Pastry – POSTPONED TO NEXT YEAR.
  • Requests:
  • Project Chef – sponsorship – Curry Cup will make a donation
  • Wine Festival – PICA kitchen party – event – CTS logo to be included in Wine Festival Program as co-sponsor of event
  • Blue Fin Talk – event – Board agreed to participate; Celine to follow-up with Ned
  • BC Salmon Marketing Council – event – Board agreed to continue discussion and review feasibility
  • Hopscotch Festival – event – Board indicated CTS will not participate
  • Sushi Showdown – event – Celine to follow-up and get more information; could be on the calendar for next year - TBC
  • Better Buy Chairs – link on web site – no link to be included at this time.
  • Gala: 2k to Oceanwise to be sent

 ___________________________________________________________________________

Adjournment:  Robert Belcham at 3h05 pm

Next meeting:  Tuesday, November 29, 2016 @ 2h00 pm

Location:  Campagnolo

Board Meeting Minutes – September 27, 2016

Date:                            Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Location:                       Campagnolo, 1020 Main St.

Call to Order:                 Scott Jaeger @ 2h03 pm

Roll Call:                       Céline Turenne

Board Attendance:         Robert Belcham, Darren Clay, Scott Jaeger, Alex Tung, Celine Turenne, Neil Wyles

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from August 30, 2016

1st: Scott Jaeger; 2nd: Alex Tung

___________________________________________________________________________

  1. Financial Report

Bank:  $79,950.00 - outstanding payments expenses app 5k; donation gala: 2 k; donation food truck: 2k

  1. Membership

161 members

  1. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee

No report

  1. Marketing & Branding

No report

  1. Slow Fish Dinner 2016
  • Final review: successful sold out event 120 tickets; more volunteers needed for clearing helping in kitchens
  1. Fall Food Truck Event
  • Final review: very successful first event!
  • All meat, fish and groceries were donated along with $100 gift card per truck.
  • Repeat next year
  • Donation: $2000.00 to Food Bank
  1. Curry Cup
  • Date? Monday March 6 or March 27 – TBC – Neil Wyles
  • Celine contact Heritage Hall to reserve Hall
  • Neil to ask chefs
  • Waste Management bin required to dispose of compostable.
  1. Spot Prawn Festival
  • Start of planning Celine to present plan for upcoming SPF;
  1. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee
  • BCHF scholarships: timing + venue – PR??? – AGM????
  • Danny to take the lead;
  1. Miscellaneous
  • Growing Chefs silent auction prize – package to be prepared by Celine and delivered to PICA.
  • Fall/Winter sweet/dessert event – The Greatest Bake Sale Ever! Pastry event in late November – food cost to be covered; seek chocolate sponsor – supply sponsors – Neil is the chair – to ask James from Bella to ask James to be on committee;  Darren to ask Christine; Alex to second; Donation to Union Gospel Mission.
  • Gala: 2k to Oceanwise to be sent.

___________________________________________________________________________

Adjournment:  Scott Jaeger @ 3h36 pm

Next meeting:  Tuesday, October 25, 2016 @ 2h00 pm

Location:  Campagnolo, 1020 Main St.

Pages: 1 2 3