Board Meeting Minutes – October 25, 2016

Date:                            Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Location:                       Campagnolo, 1020 Main St.

Call to Order:                 Robert Belcham @ 2h02 pm

Roll Call:                       Céline Turenne

Board Attendance:         Robert Belcham, Celine Turenne, Neil Wyles, Eric Arrouze

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from September 27, 2016 – postponed to November meeting

__________________________________________________________________________

  1. Financial Report

64 k in the bank

  1. Membership

158 members

  1. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee

No report

  1. Marketing & Branding

Robert Belcham will be participating in Island Chef Collaborative’s event “The Shaker” on December 4

  1. Curry Cup
  • Heritage Hall is booked for March 6;
  • Neil to ask chefs
  • Waste Management bin required to dispose of compostable – delivery at 6 pm and p/u early morning due to lack of space in the lane for the bin.
  1. Spot Prawn Festival
  • Start of planning Celine to present plan for upcoming SPF – postponed to November meeting
  1. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee – report from Danny via email
  • Aaron Hoffman has been contacted as the recipient of 2K from CTS (he has not responded, but I know he’s away) – cheque ready to be mailed;
  • As of this morning, I have 17 nominations from across the province for the BCHF scholarship
  • I have confirmed internally with White Spot team, and we are comfortable hosting an event where we can give out the BCHF scholarships.
  • I have not yet contacted Alan Sacks, but in theory, we are good to go for 35 ppl luncheon, and WS will pick up the cost of F&B.
  • To make this work, ideally, we need the event to happen between November 14 – December 8, or else is gets too busy with holidays..
  • I will make the short list of finalists, send a note to all the instructors thanking them for their nominations, and be prepared to announce the winners (internally) to BCHF and CTS by end of this week.
  • Maybe we could discuss the luncheon event over the phone before I reach out to Alan?...
  1. Miscellaneous
  • Growing Chefs silent auction prize – package prepared and delivered to PICA.
  • Fall/Winter sweet/dessert event – The Greatest Bake Sale Ever! Pastry – POSTPONED TO NEXT YEAR.
  • Requests:
  • Project Chef – sponsorship – Curry Cup will make a donation
  • Wine Festival – PICA kitchen party – event – CTS logo to be included in Wine Festival Program as co-sponsor of event
  • Blue Fin Talk – event – Board agreed to participate; Celine to follow-up with Ned
  • BC Salmon Marketing Council – event – Board agreed to continue discussion and review feasibility
  • Hopscotch Festival – event – Board indicated CTS will not participate
  • Sushi Showdown – event – Celine to follow-up and get more information; could be on the calendar for next year - TBC
  • Better Buy Chairs – link on web site – no link to be included at this time.
  • Gala: 2k to Oceanwise to be sent

 ___________________________________________________________________________

Adjournment:  Robert Belcham at 3h05 pm

Next meeting:  Tuesday, November 29, 2016 @ 2h00 pm

Location:  Campagnolo

Board Meeting Minutes – September 27, 2016

Date:                            Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Location:                       Campagnolo, 1020 Main St.

Call to Order:                 Scott Jaeger @ 2h03 pm

Roll Call:                       Céline Turenne

Board Attendance:         Robert Belcham, Darren Clay, Scott Jaeger, Alex Tung, Celine Turenne, Neil Wyles

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from August 30, 2016

1st: Scott Jaeger; 2nd: Alex Tung

___________________________________________________________________________

  1. Financial Report

Bank:  $79,950.00 - outstanding payments expenses app 5k; donation gala: 2 k; donation food truck: 2k

  1. Membership

161 members

  1. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee

No report

  1. Marketing & Branding

No report

  1. Slow Fish Dinner 2016
  • Final review: successful sold out event 120 tickets; more volunteers needed for clearing helping in kitchens
  1. Fall Food Truck Event
  • Final review: very successful first event!
  • All meat, fish and groceries were donated along with $100 gift card per truck.
  • Repeat next year
  • Donation: $2000.00 to Food Bank
  1. Curry Cup
  • Date? Monday March 6 or March 27 – TBC – Neil Wyles
  • Celine contact Heritage Hall to reserve Hall
  • Neil to ask chefs
  • Waste Management bin required to dispose of compostable.
  1. Spot Prawn Festival
  • Start of planning Celine to present plan for upcoming SPF;
  1. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee
  • BCHF scholarships: timing + venue – PR??? – AGM????
  • Danny to take the lead;
  1. Miscellaneous
  • Growing Chefs silent auction prize – package to be prepared by Celine and delivered to PICA.
  • Fall/Winter sweet/dessert event – The Greatest Bake Sale Ever! Pastry event in late November – food cost to be covered; seek chocolate sponsor – supply sponsors – Neil is the chair – to ask James from Bella to ask James to be on committee;  Darren to ask Christine; Alex to second; Donation to Union Gospel Mission.
  • Gala: 2k to Oceanwise to be sent.

___________________________________________________________________________

Adjournment:  Scott Jaeger @ 3h36 pm

Next meeting:  Tuesday, October 25, 2016 @ 2h00 pm

Location:  Campagnolo, 1020 Main St.

Board Meeting Minutes – August 30, 2016

Date:                            Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Location:                       Campagnolo, 1020 Main St.

Call to Order:                 Scott Jaeger @ 2h00

Roll Call:                       Céline Turenne

Board Attendance:         Robert Belcham, Ryan Bissell, Darren Clay, Sid Cross, Scott Jaeger, Danny Markowicz, Alex Tung, Celine Turenne

Guests:                         Kathleen Beveridge

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from June 28, 2016

1st: Ryan Bissell; 2nd: Darren Clay

___________________________________________________________________________

  1. Financial Report

$73.0 K

  1. Membership

Board member to lend a hand and sell membership; table for recruiter

  1. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee

Dr. Scott Wallace – sustainability of trollers; invitation to attend board meeting in October; Slow Fish invitation for next year

Commission salmon report? CTS to endorse issue; press release letter to support initiative; link to slow fish event

  1. Marketing & Branding

Investment project: postponement of project - next step to get back to Barbara Jo

  1. Slow Fish Dinner 2016
  • Update: sold out … 105 on 120 as of today
  • Ryan; Danny will be at event
  • Wine from SPF gala: donation of wine to the school; 6 bottles;
  • Sommelier: reach out to new graduates for the experience;
  1. Fall Food Truck Event
  • Update: 50 tickets sold ($69.00)
  • Posting of social medias – offer a CTS VIP experience
  • 8 dishes; beer and wine tastings wife, Sid to pour
  • Volunteers from NWCAV – volunteers? Not yet in session
  • 4oz and 7 oz glasses
  • Ryan’s presence (TBC)
  • Media? Truck on site to do a segment with participating chef
  • No amplified sound
  • Plastic ponchos – source
  • Lighting – do we need? Underneath the tent? See Scott for string of lights; see Robert;
  • Extra hands from board: membership;
  • If tickets don’t sell then …
  • BC living – Nicky Bailey – Eat Vancouver -
  1. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee

No report

  1. Miscellaneous
  • November event? Not this year
  • Request for event blueprint – proprietary information each request will be evaluated separately;
  • New spice venture (Darren to present) - have a store front to sell products: educational and sensory; Chefs to test and give feedback; Robert would love to be a wholesale customer – Curry Cup sensory table – sponsor
  • Spot prawns purchases – worked out – pay out outstanding
  • Tote initiative: works for PICA; Darren to send pictures to Celine to post on Facebook

_________________________________________________________________________________

Adjournment:  Scott Jaeger @ 3h21

Next meeting:  Tuesday, September 27, 2016 @ 2h00 pm

Location:  Campagnolo, 1020 Main St.

Board Meeting Minutes – June 28, 2016

Date:                            Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Location:                       PICA, 1505 W. 2nd Avenue

Call to Order:                 2h04

Roll Call:                       Céline Turenne

Board Attendance:         Darren Clay, Sid Cross, Scott Jaeger, Celine Turenne, Neil Wyles

Guests:                         Alex Tung, Rob Clark, Mark Hills

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from April 5, 2016

1st:Scott Jaeger; 2nd:Sid Cross

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from May 31, 2016

1st: Sid Cross; 2nd: Scott Jaeger

___________________________________________________________________________

  1. Financial Report

58.1 K

  1. Membership

Erosion of numbers to 79; fall will see membership campaign

  1. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee

No report

  1. Marketing & Branding

No report

  1. Slow Fish Dinner 2017

8 chefs:  Sean Cousins; Ned Bell; Miru Dalwal; Thomson Tran; Karen Barnaby; Wang?

Normand? Anthony? Send contact info to Darren for Anthony

  1. Fall Truck Event
  • Update: BIA to do the heavy lifting – expertise
  • Chefs to cook: Scott; Neil, Wang…
  • Permitting for alcohol: BIA to look after?
  • Date: September 13 – (CONFIRMED)
  • BIA to assist
  • People’s Choice to decide on favourite truck/chef combo?
  • Meeting to be planned with BIA
  • Mid-July deadline to firm up date, location and other details
  1. Fundraising/Scholarship

No report

  1. Miscellaneous

Sushi Showdown – Celine to get back to organizer and see what her next steps are.

Motion to give to Oceanwise:  $4k out of profit to Ocean wise; Accepted; Rob to work out details of cheque donation.  Townhall to issue a press release re: event donation; Celine to talk to Annmarie about timing of donation – during Oceanwise event?

_________________________________________________________________________________

Adjournment:  2h36 pm

Next meeting:  Tuesday, August 30, 2016 @ 2h00 pm

Location:  Campagnolo, 1020 Main St.

Board Meeting Minutes – May 31, 2016

Date:                            Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Location:                      Campagnolo, 1020 Main St., Vancouver

Call to Order:                Robert Belcham @ 1h33

Roll Call:                       Céline Turenne

Board Attendance:        Robert Belcham, Ryan Bissell, Scott Jaeger, Danny Markowicz Celine Turenne

Guests:                         Alex Tung, Kathleen Beveridge

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from April 5, 2016 – postponed to next meeting

1st:   ; 2nd:

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from April 26, 2016

1st: Ryan    ; 2nd: Danny

____________________________________________________________________________

  1. Financial Report

$86.7 in bank (expenses outstanding from SPF events)

  1. Membership

Activities needed to improve

  1. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee

No report

  1. Marketing & Branding

No report

  1. Slow Fish Dinner 2016

First committee meeting was held, plans are moving forward.

  1. Curry Cup 2017

No report

  1. 10th annual Spot Prawn Festival events

Boil (Sunday May 15)

  • Very successful event with biggest number of attendees since inception of festival
  • Suggestions for next year:
  • All spot prawns deliveries to be accompanied by delivery slip
  • Donation agreement for free pot prawns to be managed by PPFA – along with payment since we keep having problems with deliveries/quantities
  • Count number of people in line to arrange for food portioning
  • Get more volunteers: 12 people per serving line are needed and then volunteers for other area;  if people show up, then their membership is paid, they get a shirt, ….
  • Add more table tops or other tables for people to eat at; no chairs so people move on
  • Skipper Otto set-up a table without checking with CTS – all tables to be checked by CTS and must be pre-approved
  • Sell water? See if we can get bottled water or juices to sell (additional revenues)
  • Sell wine and beer? See how we can set-up an alcohol selling area

Spot Sprawn Gala (Friday May 13)

  • Beautiful event
  • Generated less revenues as not sold out, but still profitable
  • Donation to Oceanwise to be organized
  • The Club want to work with us again … do we repeat?
  • Have a plaque made for the Club to go on their wall – Celine to organize

Spot Prawn Cooking Classes (Saturday May 14)

  • To be repeated next year
  • Sold out in 2 weeks
  • Same format, but try to get 2 instructors
  • Everyone got a lb of prawns and an apron
  • Increase price to $40.00 (from $35.00)
  1. Fundraising/Scholarship

No activities

  1. Miscellaneous

Fall food truck event

  • Meeting with Yaletown BIA, suggestion was made to get a Vancouver Trolley for serving alcohol, BIA will help with logistics of events and working with City to get permit for park and parking meters; they want it to be associated with Taste of Yaletown event.
  • CTS to pair one chef per truck

Donation for  Sprouting Chefs

  • motion to vote - donation of $ - no accepted, donation of gift basket items - accepted

AGM:

  • Tuesday June 28 at 2:30 pm
  • Focus: sustainable delivery containers, Scott to invite Sysco and others suppliers to attend

_________________________________________________________________________________

Adjournment:  Scott Jaeger at 3h18 pm

Next meeting:  Tuesday, June 28, 2016 @ 2:00 pm

Location:  PICA, 1505 W 2nd Avenue

Board Meeting Minutes – April 26, 2016

Date:                            Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Location:                      The Fish Counter 3825 Main St., Vancouver

Call to Order:                Scott Jaeger @ 14h09

Roll Call:                       Céline Turenne

Board Attendance:        Robert Clark, Darren Clay, Scott Jaeger, Celine Turenne, Neil Wyles

Guests:                         Alex Tung, Eric Arrouze

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from April 5, 2016 – postponed to next meeting

1st:   ; 2nd:

____________________________________________________________________________

  1. Financial Report

57.9 k in bank

  1. Membership
  • No new development –
  • A membership booth will be set-up at the Spot Prawn Festival Boil to sign-up new members – ALL CULINARY STUDENTS can get a membership for free;
  1. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee
  • No report
  • Robert has sent out a template for green initiative; Darren is using it and also returning all the cardboard boxes he is getting deliveries in at the school
  • Focus for the AGM – freshpoint; sysco and others: how can we work with the suppliers at getting better sustainable options for product deliveries;
  • Send invitation major players for attending AGM and discussing.
  1. Marketing & Branding
  • Fall event: Danny & Alex to co-chair event
  • Food trucks and farmer’s market: Alex spoke with some food trucks; Tie-in with farmers’ market will be challenging due to weather and ticketing restrictions;
  • October – LAST DAY OF THE MARKET –
  • Space TO BE CONFIRMED; Nat Bailey Winter market? Italian Cultural Center? Celine To f/u with Costanza
  • LIVE MUSIC?
  1. Slow Fish Dinner 2016
  • Date: Sunday September 18
  • Darren Clay is the chair
  1. Curry Cup 2016
  • Neil to chair Curry Cup 2017
  1. Spot Prawn Festival
  • Eric to send name of photographer

Boil (Sunday May 15)

  • Terry Mulligan radio show: Scott will attend if needed; Celine to send email to Amy
  • Cook Culture is still interested in the demo stage
  • Salt Spring coffee is out; Darren and Scott to contact alternate sponsors
  • Scott to contact Earls to get chefs to cook at the Boil
  • Darren and Ryan are working together on health permit, side dishes – lentils will be featured to celebrate the year of the pulse!
  • Celine to send invitation to all past chairs and chefs to participate in the boil

Spot Sprawn Gala (Friday May 13)

  • Champagne to be confirmed
  • Big push on tickets sale needed!

Spot Prawn Cooking Classes (Saturday May 14)

  • Celine to prepare Fish Counter gift certificate and send to Rob for review
  1. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee
  • No news

_________________________________________________________________________________

Adjournment:  By Scott Jaeger at 3h16 pm

Next meeting:  Tuesday, May 31, 2016 @ 2:00 pm

Location:  Campagnolo, 1020 Main St.

Board Meeting Minutes – April 5, 2016

Date:                            Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Location:                      Campagnolo, 1020 Main St., Vancouver

Call to Order:                Robert B. at 14h01

Roll Call:                       Céline Turenne

Board Attendance:        Robert Belcham, Ryan Bissell, Robert Clark, Darren Clay, Sid Cross, Scott Jaeger, Danny Markowicz, Celine Turenne, Neil Wyles

Guests:                         Alex Tung, Kathleen Beveridge, Leeann Froese

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from February 23, 2016

1st: Robert B ; 2nd: Ryan

____________________________________________________________________________

  1. Financial Report

52 k in the bank less expenses = 44 k

  1. Membership
  • VanMag award April 13 - Celine to attend
  1. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee
  • No report
  1. Marketing & Branding
  • Scout membership: update pending from Sid – negotiate a discount
  • Fall event: fall harvest – pasta fall harvest competition night?  Alex and Sid to propose – farmers’ market and winter market;  food truck : guest chefs on trucks – last farmers’ market a truck and another chef;  one dish pays per dish; people’s choice award; tickets purchased for food – Alex to chair
  1. Curry Cup 2016
  • Profit of 3k after donation
  • Next year: Curry restaurant showdown
  • Neil: chair for 4th
  1. Spot Prawn Festival

Boil (Sunday May 15)

  • Disclaimer on date to be added to web site and press release
  • 10th PPFA 9k – booth on site to promote organization
  • Prep kitchen: Ryan to contact AMS and see if kitchen is available
  • Truck: Mark Hills has offered his truck – Celine to contact and confirm
  • Layout of event: change of position for cooking demo stage – backing into the south fence
  • Confirmation from Steve: Ryan to get confirmation from Steve via email re: quantity of spot prawns donation
  • Agenda of events
  • Robert B in charge of boil; Celine to send invitation to chefs
  • Ryan in charge of food prep (sides)
  • Cook Culture sponsorship of cooking stage not yet confirmed

Spot Sprawn Gala (Friday May 13)

  • Canapés – Robert C to ask Chris to prepare
  • Champagne reception: Alex to contact Moet & Chandon
  • Avalon dairy sponsorship? Alex to f/u
  • Vancity – 2 tickets for festival – Celine to send to?; Invite Bank to set-up tent on site; Leeann to f/u on contact for bank (Dave Perry)
  • Gala: Scott to thank everyone at the end of the evening
  • Giving tickets: 1 media for 2 tickets (Fred Lee) – good fit – Celine to email Fred
  • Invitee: Oceanwise – 1 ticket; Mark Hills – 1 ticket
  • Mayor: invited to the gala?  No

Spot Prawn Cooking Classes (Saturday May 14)

  • 6 classes – 1 hr ea
  • Darren in charge
  1. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee
  • Bocuse d’Or: 3 participants in the province; looking for help to cover expenses; no applications received
  1. Miscellaneous
  • Sprouting Chefs (Darren): one-woman show; seeds and grows and teach about planting; fundraiser in June (11); David Suzuki is speaker; presentation at next board meeting;
  • Add general discussion on school programs;
  • Sysco: want do you want to give us – discussion needed on how they can get involved with CTS; delivery TOTE PROGRAM?
  • PR: Kathleen – 1 yr anniversary; Thank you Kathleen and Town Hall!
  • BC mental health: meeting with Go2HR to be planned

_________________________________________________________________________________

Adjournment:  Scott @ 3:36 pm

Next meeting:  Tuesday, April 26, 2016 @ 2:00 pm

Location:  Campagnolo, 1020 Main St.

Board Meeting Minutes January 26, 2016

Date:                            Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Location:                     Campagnolo, 1020 Main St., Vancouver

Call to Order:              Scott Jaeger at 14h00

Roll Call:                      Céline Turenne

Board Attendance:     Céline Turenne, Robert Belcham, Scott Jaeger, Neil Wyles, Sid Cross, Chris Whittaker, Darren Clay, Robert Clark (For SPF topic)

Guests:                         Alex Tung, Kathleen Beveridge

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from November 27, 2015 -   1st: Robert; 2nd: Chris

____________________________________________________________________________

Financial Report

  •  $41.5 K in the bank
  • HSBC bank reconciliation still pending

Membership

  • Social media will be done by Darren Clay to help keep CTS in the forefront.

Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee

  • Gus is in Winnipeg, no report.

Marketing & Branding

  • No plans for members’ events
  • Sid and Alex will be working together to come up with a new event for the Fall

Curry Cup 2016

  • To date, no female chef participating
  • Robert B to follow-up on disposable dishes as no answer received to date from last year’s sponsor;
  • Sid suggested getting gift bags for participants (follow-up required – Celine)

Spot Prawn Festival

Festival:

  • Cookie cutter based on last year’s event;
  • Invitations have been sent to political figures at municipal, provincial and federal level to be present/speaking at the SPF when the boats arrive;
  • Scott to talk to contact at Earls to see if their staff would volunteer at the boil (10 to 15)
  • Cooking classes at PICA on the Saturday (profit generating or donated);
  • Volunteer students: if cooking classes are happening, then do we need students from other schools?

Gala dinner:

  • location to be confirmed as initial talks with Aquarium have not led to securing the venue;
  • Scott to talk to Gus about hosting the event at Perch;
  • Out of town chefs to be invited to participate (work out hotel rooms and incidental expenses – 4 Seasons?, Sutton Place?);
  • Chefs who participate at dinner could reproduce their dish at the cooking stage at SPF
  • Rob is proposing a week-long celebration with restaurants featuring spot prawn dishes,
  • Global Television: contact to see if interested in working on a one-week competition featuring teens and chefs – see if Project Chefs or Growing Chefs are interested in participating;
  • All events to be added to the SPF web site;

Fundraising/Scholarship Committee

  •  No report
  • Alex wants to get more involved with the Fundraising/Partnership part of this; should a new chair be created for Corporate fundraising to bring in additional funds and create additional scholarships?
  • Avalon Dairy: Alex will see if and how we can partner with them;

Miscellaneous

  • Proposal by Len (from Sysco) to get more involved in CTS: how can Sysco get involved with CTS: education? Budget? Not determined yet to follow up and create a committee to work and see if/how,
  •  IT update of work done: Dominic, new IT is doing a great job at fixing little bugs and coming up with creative solutions; membership payment and renewal has been automated and electronic membership cards are next.
  •  Dish n’Dazzle chefs participation (last year’s participant) confirmed on behalf of BCHF.
  •  Governor General’s Prize: Okanagan winery is sponsoring the award next year, does CTS want to get involved for the next one?

___________________________________________________________________________________

Adjournment: Scott Jaeger @ 15h05

Next meeting: Tuesday February 23, 2016 at 14h00

Location: Campagnolo, 1020 Main St.

Board Meeting Minutes November 24, 2015

Date:                            Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Location:                     Campagnolo, 1020 Main St., Vancouver

Call to Order:             Robert Belcham at 14h01

Roll Call:                      Céline Turenne

Board Attendance:     Robert Belcham, Scott Jaeger,Céline Turenne, Darren Clay, Gus Stieffenhofer-Brandson, Chris Whittaker, Neil Wyles, Ryan Bissell

Guests:                         Dennis Green, go2HR

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from October 27, 2015 - 1st: Ryan; 2nd: Robert

_____________________________________________________________________________

1.Financial Report

  • $48.5 K in the bank
  • HSBC bank reconciliation still pending

2.Membership

  • 137 members
  • Corporate membership? decide on criteria (within mission statement) and fee for this level of membership – Darren and Robert to follow-up and work on defining criteria
  • Perks and benefits: add to offering Q1 2016
  • Web site to be re-visited and simplified – a decision to be made on whether or not to keep members walk-in and other functionalities
  • As of January 1, 2016, no more t-shirts will be mailed to new members - members can pick them up at events;
  • Céline working on call-out (via email) to lapsed members
  • Automatic renewal of membership is now operational and electronic membership cards will be finalized by Q1 2016

3. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee

  • main area: packaging in food distribution industry; work on ways to eliminate cardboard boxes; will be working with distributors and manufacturers –
  • Letter to Freshpoint (see Ryan) – returnable delivery boxes.
  • Céline to work with Gus – follow-up in January
  • farmed fish back east - gmo fish (next meeting) – find info and post
  • Shrimps in Ontario – find info and post

4. Marketing & Branding

  • Update on Members’ Event: January? See if any Chefs on book tour?
  • Response on plan by by Jan. 4 so email can go out to all members

5. Curry Cup 2016

  •  Date: Monday March 7, 2016
  • Location: Heritage Hall
  • Who has been; and members list; Céline to send to Chris
  • Posts on Scout; unsung hero kitchen helper; one of the competitor;
  • Same price as last year
  • Growing Chefs will receive the money – Céline to contact Growing Chefs and get one of their members in office to become a member
  • Contact Fred Lee to ask if he will emcee

6. Spot Prawn Festival

  • Date dinner: Saturday May 14
  • Festival: Sunday May 15
  • Chris to contact Jed Grieve (Cook Culture) to see if interested in sponsoring the cooking stage – Céline to send info to Chris
  • Ryan assigned dinner – 600 people?
  • Location: Vancouver aquarium

7. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee

  •  No report

8. Miscellaneous

  • 14h30: Dennis Green, go2HR presentation: Cook Labour Study Project
  • Dennis to send info to Céline for dissemination
  • Miscellaneous: approval given to renew insurance; information sent to lawyer for annual report.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Adjournment: Scott Jaeger @ 15h05

Next meeting: Tuesday January 26, 2016 at 14h00

Location: Campagnolo, 1020 Main St.

Board Meeting Minutes

Date:                             Tuesday October 27, 2015

Location:                     Campagnolo, 1020 Main St., Vancouver

Call to Order:            Scott Jaeger at 14h00

Roll Call:                      Céline Turenne

Board Attendance:     Robert Belcham, Andrea Carlson, Darren Clay, Scott Jaeger, Gus Stieffenhofer-Brandson, Céline Turenne

Guests:                         Kathleen Beveridge (Town Hall Communications),

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from September 28, 2015

1st:Scott; 2nd: Robert

________________________________________________________________________________

 

  1. Financial Report
  •  Accounting for 2014: still waiting for HSBC bank statements from Neil
  • 48.5k in bank accounts – few expenses pending

 

  1. Membership
  •  As of today: 73 chefs and 64 supporters = 137 members
  • November/December will be “renewal months” for lapsed member
  • Automate renewal in web site to facilitate process
  • Discussion on who gets memberships for free –
  • Get auto-renew operating again to facilitate management of membership (Email Stephanie to get information re web since Karen will no longer be managing it)

 

  1. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee
  •  Slow Fish Dinner final numbers: 5.5k profit
  • Appointment of Gus Stieffenhofer-Brandson as chair
  • Appointment of Andrea Carlson as co chair
  • Motion to accept 1st Robert 2nd Darren

 

  1. Marketing & Branding
  • Update on November Membership event: various locations looked at; this will have a budget of app 2.5k for about 50 people and media;
  • Vice-president Robert accepted
  • Motion by Scott; 1st: Darren 2nd: Gus
  • f/u with Robert re marketing activities

 

  1. Curry Cup 2016
  •  Date to be decided – plan a few weeks after wine festival; day to be on a Tuesday or Sunday
  • Email to Neil and Chris

 

  1. Spot Prawn Festival
  •  Update from conf call Ryan/Rob/Celine
  • Date is set for May 15 for Festival and May 14 for Gala (location to be decided: PICA, Aquarium,…).
  • Number of attendees to be confirmed
  • Speakers will be invited as this is the 10th anniversary
  • Looking for sponsorship for cooking stage: Andrea to follow up on contact with VanCity (Celine to follow-up)
  • More volunteers needed for the event as this will be the biggest one

 

  1. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee
  • Summary from Danny:

Since the AGM, the focus has been on finalizing the Chefs Table/BC Hospitality foundation entries, and selecting the winners.

I’m happy to report that three students were selected based on merit and their achievements. They are Shawna James from VIU,

Brittany Louie from Johnston Heights Secondary, and Mary Wan from the Arts Institute. The winning students were presented a cheque for 1500$ each at the Connect show breakfast last Monday.

BCHF has also reached out to add info to their website. I will get back to them with a follow up.

During the AGM last month, I spoke with Barbara Jo with regards to getting her store more exposure thru CTS, and how we could help get books into the hands of cooks.

This will be a work in progress…

  •  (BCHF said they would not pay accommodations and travel expenses in the future; use technology to get presence for out of town winners, if needed.

 

  1. Miscellaneous
  • Update on participation to Connect Show Oct. 18 and 19, 2015: 9 memberships ($315)+ many new contacts – all costs are covered $250 for booth set-up + $ parking/cabs = $310.00) – to be re-done next year, but chefs to attend
  • Update on Farms to Fork gala (Growing chefs auction) $375. For silent auction prize
  • The Vinegar Lady products received at Connect show given to board members for their review; Celine to email Vinegar Lady
  • Use of board titles/responsibilities from ex members: Leeann suggested she looks after it since from a PR point of view it can be confusing – message to all ex board members.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Adjournment:  Scott Jaeger at 1505

Next meeting:  Tuesday November 24, at 2 pm

Location:  Campagnolo, 1020 Main St.

Pages: 1 2 3