Board Meeting Minutes – May 26 2015

Date:                 Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Location:           AMS Student Nest, 6133 University boul.

Call to Order:   Scott Jaeger at 14h16

Roll Call:           Céline Turenne

Attendance:     Robert Belcham, Ryan Bissell, Sid Cross, Scott Jaeger, Danny Markowicz, Céline Turenne

Guests:              Kathleen Beveridge (Town Hall Communications), Amy Chen (Town Hall Communications), Leeann Froese (Town Hall Communications)

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from April 28, 2015

1st: Scott ; 2nd: Robert

____________________________________________________________________________________

  1. Financial Report

-         HSBC account has been emptied out with 2 payments to SPF (verify balance with Neil)

-         F/U on GST liability

  1. Membership Committee

-         Results of mailing to lapsed members:  only 10 renewals; Celine to follow-up by sending personal emails to all with log-in name to facilitate renewal.

  1. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee

-         Slow Fish Dinner (Sept. 27, 2015) – Scott, Jonathan, Robert C., Chinese chefs?

-         Ned Bell will chair committee

  1. Marketing & Branding

-         How to decrease bags inventory: include with purchase of tickets in Sept and March events?

-         Order of chefs’ t-shirts:  L, XL and XXL only? Celine to send t-shirts quantity to Robert for quote.

-         Stickers:  send an email to Katharine re stickers

  1. Spot Prawn Festival

-         Post Mortem:  overall, a very successful event great atmosphere – highest number served and highest revenues;

-         Celine will prepare a written logistic document to add to Spot Prawn prep binder for next year recapping this year’s set-ups in all areas for reference;

-         Refrigerated truck was a great asset to have on site;

-         Review equipment needs and streamlined orders;

-         Keep Rational oven for speed but have a boil going for (name of event);

-         Prepping off site at AMS made food prep easy and fast;

-         Spruce up look of deck and add seats/high tops;

-         Discuss side dishes and review costs (avocadoes too expensive) – see if we can get sponsors for vegetables;

-         Comments: need more signage to indicate where check-in is and process to check in;

-         Time slots worked well as did bracelet and tickets for meal and alcohol samples;

-         Suggestion: selling ice instead of beer – sell from the dock? Permit for selling? Part of business license – follow-up required for next year.

-         Add head chef or maitre d’ (team to work on flow) to direct crowd

-         Cooking stage signage: schedule – large sign with time/name;

-         Media coverage review: SPECIAL MENTION TO TOWNHALL for great effort on getting media coverage before, during and after the festival.

-         Townhall toast to the team!

-         10th festival planning will start next month; chair and committee to confirm;

  1. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee

-         New Chair: Danny Markowicz

-         Hawksworth Scholarship: final word – email received from Brody Jones confirming that CTS will be considered Founding partner on web site

  1. Miscellaneous

-         Participation to Connect  Oct. 18 and 19, 2015 – Celine to send another email to Samantha.

-         Participation in Nathan’s Fong PASSIONS, Sunday September 13, 2015 – f/u with Nathan required – Celine to send another email (replied to Nathan’s) saying that CTS will not be offering an auction prize;

-         Herring Conservation Dinner: next year yes but too late for this year’s event.  Celine to send an email that we will pass for this year based on timing, but would like to start conversation early for next year’s.

-         Project Chef:  cheque giving ceremony at the Junior Curry Cup; media handled by Town Hall.

-         AGM date: September – board meeting – new board member wanted

-         Partners offers/process: need to develop a plan to work out partnering with vendors/suppliers – define what it really means for the company and CTS and its members.  A new chair on the board could be created to look after sponsor relations.  To be discussed further.

-         Executive Director position: job description to be given to Scott; meeting to be organized by Scott to further the discussion.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Adjournment:  By: Scott Jaeger at 15h40

Next board meeting: Tuesday June 30, 2015 at 14h00

Location:  Campagnolo, 1020 Main St.

 

New Board Member: Chef Danny Markowicz

danny

The Chefs' Table Society of British Columbia is pleased to announce that Danny Markowicz has joined the CTS Board as Chair of the Scholarship Committee.

Danny brings 20 years of diverse culinary experience to the White Spot and Triple O’s organization.

After completing his Red Seal designation at the Fairmont Banff Springs hotel, Danny moved to Vancouver to pursue his passion for all things food…

From the Five Diamond property at the Pan Pacific Hotel, to opening the Fairmont Vancouver Airport and honing his culinary excellence at Diva @ the Met, Danny is always up to the challenge to create that next great taste… As Development Chef at Browns Social House he was instrumental in building the menu and culinary team to a point where the brand reached scalability, and he now leads the charge as Executive Chef for White Spot limited, creating menu items for promotional and core menu offerings across two iconic brands. Danny’s rare level of creativity, unfalteringly positive attitude and deep understanding of the hospitality business make any culinary challenge an exciting possibility.

 

 

 

Board Meeting Minutes – April 28, 2015

BOARD MEETING MINUTES

Date:                Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Location:          Campagnolo, 1020 Main Street

Call to Order:    By: Scott Jaeger at 14h00

Roll Call:           By: Céline Turenne

Attendance:      Robert Belcham, Ryan Bissell, Jonathan Chovancek, Scott Jaeger, Céline Turenne, Neil Wyles

Guests:             Darren Clay (Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts), Kathleen Beveridge (Town Hall Communications),  Amy Chen (Town Hall Communications), Leeann Froese (Town Hall Communications), Danny Markowicz (White Spot)

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from March 31, 2015

1st: Robert; 2nd: Scott

____________________________________________________________________________________

 

  1. Financial Report

-         Second account with RBC – link to Paypal now with new RBC account funtional

-         Cash on hand 40k includes; expenses to be reimbursed to Neil and Karen

-         Celine will be doing the accounting for CTS and create monthly reports

 

  1. Membership Committee

-         Membership event linked to membership renewal?  Go ahead – to discuss with Katherine

-         Celine to prepare mailing to expired members inviting them to the event if they renew their membership

 

  1. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee

-         No report

 

  1. Marketing & Branding

-         Members’ event update – go ahead for the Spot Prawns member events – Celine to get permit

-         Cost of t-shirts? Celine to get back to Robert with quantities needed

 

  1. Spot Prawn Festival

-         Update & next steps:

-         Sponsorship package: Scott has finalized and will send to Celine; will also send letter to chefs with all details;

-         Boil line-up:  Ryan to confirm participants – Vikram is confirmed

-         Volunteers:  Celine to finalize logistics and get names of all to create badges; voted that volunteer students get free membership for 1 year.

-         Darren confirmed that menu is finalized,

-         Amy to get ad in Chinese market (Fairchild publication?)

-         Celine to contact Mary McKay to get more details on bread

-         Leeann to follow up with Steve re: boat police escort

-         Logistics: Celine to finalize plan and send around; meeting to be arranged for week of May 4 to finalize all details.

-         Celine to follow-up with Chris re: what signs he has on hand.

 

  1. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee

-         Hawksworth Scholarship: final word; Céline to follow-up with Brody

-         Chair has been offered to Danny Markowicz

 

  1. Miscellaneous

-         Participation to Connect  Oct. 18 and 19, 2015 – email sent to Samantha, waiting for reply

-         Tequila expo: contacted to ask permission for giving out tickets

-         Participation in Nathan’s Fong PASSIONS, Sunday September 13, 2015: Celine to contact Vikram with proposal from Nathan:  short demo plus signing of book.

-         Project Chef:  cheque giving ceremony – Scott and Danny to judge; Leeann to coordinate media

____________________________________________________________________________________

 

Adjournment:  By: Scott Jaeger at 15h18

Next board meeting: Tuesday May 26, 2015 at 14h00

Location:  AMS Student Nest, 6133 University Boul.

 

Board Meeting Minutes – March 31, 2015

 

Date:                Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Location:          Campagnolo, 1020 Main Street

Call to Order:   Scott Jaeger at 14h01

Roll Call:           Céline Turenne

Attendance:      Robert Belcham, Ryan Bissell, Sid Cross, Scott Jaeger, Céline Turenne, Stephanie Yuen (guest)

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from February 24, 2015

1st:  Scott; 2nd: Ryan

____________________________________________________________________________________ 

  1. Financials

Neil: accountant passed away; will get all information and Celine will complete records for 2014.

GST liability to be reviewed 

  1. Membership Committee

 No report 

  1. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee 

No report

  1. Marketing

-         Stickers confirmed and to be ordered – order will be on credit card

-         Van City patnership – no new development

-         Scotiabank– Scott followed up and will advise potential partnership for future event

-         SPF tickets to be given to both banks – Scott and Robert to provide contact info to Celine 

  1. Spot Prawn Festival

Update & next steps:

Volunteers:

-         Oceanwise confirmed

-         Growing Chefs: to be contacted by Celine

-         Project Chefs: to be contacted by Celine

-         Pica: confirmed

-         Northwest: to be contacted by Robert

-         CTS: email to members (Celine)

Price is confirmed at $17.50 (plus GST + service fee) for tasting of a spot prawn tasting Pacific Northwest delicacy – 3 prawns with 5 sides and bread

Order insulated bag 200 ea on order (Celine)

Cooking stage line-up:  Scott to confirm

Chefs for the boil:  Ryan to confirm

All beverages and other sponsors are confirmed 

  1. Curry Cup

-         Great event! Well done Kyle and Jonathan!

-         139 tickets sold (21 left to sell)

-         DONATION OF $2000 to Project Chef

-         Cheque presentation:  Barb and Leeann are to organize

  1. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee

Hawksworth Scholarship: information update

Scott phone call with David –we are no longer providing the prize money but will remain as founding partner. David said thank you to CTS! Celine to send email on behalf of board. 

  1. Miscellaneous

-         Participation to Connect  Oct. 18 and 19, 2015 – Celine to coordinate

-         Participation in Nathan’s Fong PASSIONS, Sunday September 13, 2015 –  ask Jonathan to coordinate

-         Tequila expo free admission – offer ticket to a supporter or sponsor

-         Dish n Dazzle free admission - Katharine

Postpone to next meeting:

-         Plans to get rid of cotton bags

-         Inventory of all promotional material has been completed. Cost of t-shirts Robert to provide

Stephanie:  involvement to link Asian community with CST; STEPHANIEYUEN@SHAW.CA link with Leeann re: media and sponsors on special events. Advise where involvement is needed sustainability with Asian restaurants. First step: involve other communities in the dialog.

 ____________________________________________________________________________________

Adjournment:  By: Scott Jaeger at 15h15

Next board meeting: Tuesday April 28, 2015 at 14h00

Location:  Campagnolo, 1020 Main St.

Board Meeting Minute – February 24, 2015

Date:                Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Location:          Campagnolo, 1020 Main Street

Call to Order:   Scott Jaeger at 13:57

Roll Call:           Céline Turenne

Attendance:      Robert Belcham, Andrea Carlson, Scott Jaeger, Céline Turenne, Chris Whittaker, Neil Wyles, Ned Bell

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from January 27, 2015

1st: Scott; 2nd:Chris

____________________________________________________________________________________

Scott Jaeger announced that Robert Clark resigned his position as Chair Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee and as a member of the Board.  We want to thank Robert for his dedication to the CTS, his effort in building the Spot Prawn Festival to what it is today and his efforts to promote and grow CTS.

  1. Financials

-         Fiscal 2015 Budget – presentation of budget as a guidelines for revenues and expenses for fiscal 2015 – to be voted on at next meeting: voted all in favor;

-         Neil to follow-up with RBC re on-line access problem;

-         Financial status: accounting (pending), bank account transfer (pending) and credit card (received) – will be completed in March;

-         Change Mailchimp to the CTS credit card; 

  1. Membership Committee

 No report 

  1. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee

-         No report;

-         Ned Bell will be head of organizing committee for Slow Fish dinner in September; Celine to assist 

  1. Marketing & Branding

-         Stickers project confirmed

-         Members event in May at SPF

-         Business plan – Robert to email summary to board members

-         Dumpling cook-off in Chinatown – sponsor give money back $1000 – Mid Summer to be discussed further; email communication; Robert to send more info to board

-         TV segment from Chefs Table Society: Leeann is coordinating

-         Marketing agreement with TownHall Communication - vote all in favor

-         Robert is in contact with Linda Morris (Van City) 

  1. Spot Prawn Festival

-         Ryan could not attend – SPF meeting scheduled for Feb. 25 at 11h00 at PICA; in all likelihood, gala will not be held this year but will be planned for next year.  Tickets should go on sale late march/early April

-         Liquor license to be set-up asap (Celine)

-         Double contribution for 10th year (2016) 

  1. Curry Cup

-         101 tickets sold as of February 24 – still need to sell 69!  All are asked to tweet and facebook and promote the event

-         No reply from Mijune and Nathan re membership

-         Attending as volunteers: Neil and wife; Robert;

-         Wine sponsor – Leeann confirmed Mt. Boucherie

-         Chai tea from the Chai Company

-         Beer –  R&B sole sponsor;

-         Give away from Three Farmers (roasted chickpeas for all and gifts for judges)

  1. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee

-         Hawksworth Scholarship: still committed to 3rd year; 

  1. Miscellaneous

PSF – Costanza – Costanza to contact Scott; to help with breaking convention center; Oceanwise – canapés section to be taken over by CTS; heavy in salmon; April 16? Lead time might be to thight for this year.

 

Guests presentations:

International Tequila Expo:

-         Samantha Schofield, International Tequila Expo may 30 grand tasting – afternoon trade and evening consumer event;

-         Alan Sacks, BCHF

-         Manual Otero, International Tequila Expo

Proceeds to hospitality foundation set aside to create a scholarship for CTS (CTS to confirm participation in event).  Interested in working with tequila expo to fill 2 stations; ask for 1200 people (3 sous-chefs working together; station from CTS – 1 captain each) in the evening; bartender scholarship with BCHF; increasing profile of mescal and tequila in market; see agave week;

CTS to review and advise (Samantha to send info to Celine; what has to be done and ...) – no per diem; logo for sponsor, etc.  Criteria for scholarship to be developed by CTS and BCHF – professional development not just for young chefs

Membership nights:  tequila focus?

Oceanwise:

Kathy Muenster and Teddy Geach

10th anniversary – engaging the public Seafood Symposium on April 27 – new chefs engaged in Oceanwise; – 3 hours then party; networking option afterwards; resource for all chefs; sold out; Members’ events to stream event – viewing party?

____________________________________________________________________________________

Adjournment:  By: Scott Jaeger at 1532

Next board meeting: Tuesday March 31, 2015 at 14h00

Location:  Campagnolo, 1020 Main St.

Board Meeting Minutes – January 27, 2015

BOARD MEETING MINUTES

 Date:                Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Location:          Campagnolo, 1020 Main Street

Call to Order:    By: Scott Jaeger at 14h06

Roll Call:           By: Céline Turenne

Attendance:      Robert Belcham, Ryan Bissell, Andre Carlson, Robert Clark, Scott Jaeger, Kyle Nordman, Céline Turenne, Neil Wyles

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from November 25, 2014

1st: Ryan; 2nd: Scott

____________________________________________________________________________

 

  1. Financials

-         Fiscal 2015 Budget – presentation of budget as a guidelines for revenues and expenses for fiscal 2015 – to be voted on at next meeting

-         Financial reports 2014 – financial reports will be done in April;

-         Financial status: accounting (pending), bank account transfer (pending) and credit card (received) – will be completed in February;

-         Royal Bank:  one account; credit card has been given to Neil; when a deposit is needed then use credit card – 1k; transfer not done from HSBC to RBC as of yet – will be completed in February.

 

  1. Membership Committee

-         No activities

-         Blast email to lapsed member in February (Celine)

-         Membership table at Curry Cup

 

  1. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee

-         No new activity

 

  1. Marketing & Branding

-         CTS stickers’ update – Robert B. to follow up

-         Members’ event update – to be planned once insurance is in place

-         Kyle offered his long table facility for members’ events

 

  1. Spot Prawn Festival

-         Update from 1st committee meeting; members event

-         Food to be done at UBC; then transported over; Darren in charge

-         Next steps: long week-end?; members’ event on Sunday night, gala night on Saturday

-         Gala to be held at PICA – same format as Slow Fish;

 

  1. Curry Cup

-         Update from 1st committee meeting: looking for a wine, beer and chai tea sponsor

-         Volunteers: all good

 

  1. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee

-         Hawksworth Scholarship: new information; vote on next year’s involvement; Perpetuity founding sponsor no; Dinner yes; send letter back to say founding YES include CTS judge; events for David; Scott to have a meeting with David and finish off. Follow up in 1 week.

-         New member Danny Marcowitz has been asked to be chairperson; being discussed

 

  1. Miscellaneous

-         Insurance: due diligence to get insurance for all events (including serving alcohol) as well as liability insurance for board.

-         Dish’n Dazzle participation recap:  CTS is supplying 12 chefs (out of 14)

-         Oceanwise event: April 27, 2015 – more details to get from organizer (Céline)

-         Request for members email: mailing list not to be given out to anyone

 

Guests presentation:

 

Mike Meneer from Pacific Salmon Foundation with Constanza Testino

 

-         Talked with Chef Ned Bell – grant to Ned for his bicycling tour in 2014;

-         pink salmon festival (date: August 30 – free festival to be held at Vanier park) and PSF certification (Constanza); Vancouver gala dinner mid-April 600 at convention center – donations of meals in home from chefs);

-         how can the PSF be more supportive of our events like salmon safe (Slow fish mystery dinner);

-         funds available for sponsorship – dollars available for education event; sourcing from salmon safe and promoting PSF on our web site???  Finest at sea donates fish for raw bar;

-         Brenda (events director) – CTS to help with setting up guest chefs at convention center;

-         Corporate sponsorship for CTS to fit with philosophy; invitations to events set-up by CTS; corporate relationship coordinated efforts with PSF; educating the public; what it means to the chefs;  Chef Ned asked education given to members – event to be organized.  Held at UBC?

-         A point person to be named and communications made with PSF

____________________________________________________________________________

Adjournment:  By: Scott Jaeger at 15h30

Next board meeting: Tuesday February 24, 2015 at 14h00

Location:  Campagnolo, 1020 Main St.

Pages: 1 2 3