Board Meeting Minutes – March 31, 2015

 

Date:                Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Location:          Campagnolo, 1020 Main Street

Call to Order:   Scott Jaeger at 14h01

Roll Call:           Céline Turenne

Attendance:      Robert Belcham, Ryan Bissell, Sid Cross, Scott Jaeger, Céline Turenne, Stephanie Yuen (guest)

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from February 24, 2015

1st:  Scott; 2nd: Ryan

____________________________________________________________________________________ 

  1. Financials

Neil: accountant passed away; will get all information and Celine will complete records for 2014.

GST liability to be reviewed 

  1. Membership Committee

 No report 

  1. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee 

No report

  1. Marketing

-         Stickers confirmed and to be ordered – order will be on credit card

-         Van City patnership – no new development

-         Scotiabank– Scott followed up and will advise potential partnership for future event

-         SPF tickets to be given to both banks – Scott and Robert to provide contact info to Celine 

  1. Spot Prawn Festival

Update & next steps:

Volunteers:

-         Oceanwise confirmed

-         Growing Chefs: to be contacted by Celine

-         Project Chefs: to be contacted by Celine

-         Pica: confirmed

-         Northwest: to be contacted by Robert

-         CTS: email to members (Celine)

Price is confirmed at $17.50 (plus GST + service fee) for tasting of a spot prawn tasting Pacific Northwest delicacy – 3 prawns with 5 sides and bread

Order insulated bag 200 ea on order (Celine)

Cooking stage line-up:  Scott to confirm

Chefs for the boil:  Ryan to confirm

All beverages and other sponsors are confirmed 

  1. Curry Cup

-         Great event! Well done Kyle and Jonathan!

-         139 tickets sold (21 left to sell)

-         DONATION OF $2000 to Project Chef

-         Cheque presentation:  Barb and Leeann are to organize

  1. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee

Hawksworth Scholarship: information update

Scott phone call with David –we are no longer providing the prize money but will remain as founding partner. David said thank you to CTS! Celine to send email on behalf of board. 

  1. Miscellaneous

-         Participation to Connect  Oct. 18 and 19, 2015 – Celine to coordinate

-         Participation in Nathan’s Fong PASSIONS, Sunday September 13, 2015 –  ask Jonathan to coordinate

-         Tequila expo free admission – offer ticket to a supporter or sponsor

-         Dish n Dazzle free admission - Katharine

Postpone to next meeting:

-         Plans to get rid of cotton bags

-         Inventory of all promotional material has been completed. Cost of t-shirts Robert to provide

Stephanie:  involvement to link Asian community with CST; STEPHANIEYUEN@SHAW.CA link with Leeann re: media and sponsors on special events. Advise where involvement is needed sustainability with Asian restaurants. First step: involve other communities in the dialog.

 ____________________________________________________________________________________

Adjournment:  By: Scott Jaeger at 15h15

Next board meeting: Tuesday April 28, 2015 at 14h00

Location:  Campagnolo, 1020 Main St.

Board Meeting Minute – February 24, 2015

Date:                Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Location:          Campagnolo, 1020 Main Street

Call to Order:   Scott Jaeger at 13:57

Roll Call:           Céline Turenne

Attendance:      Robert Belcham, Andrea Carlson, Scott Jaeger, Céline Turenne, Chris Whittaker, Neil Wyles, Ned Bell

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from January 27, 2015

1st: Scott; 2nd:Chris

____________________________________________________________________________________

Scott Jaeger announced that Robert Clark resigned his position as Chair Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee and as a member of the Board.  We want to thank Robert for his dedication to the CTS, his effort in building the Spot Prawn Festival to what it is today and his efforts to promote and grow CTS.

  1. Financials

-         Fiscal 2015 Budget – presentation of budget as a guidelines for revenues and expenses for fiscal 2015 – to be voted on at next meeting: voted all in favor;

-         Neil to follow-up with RBC re on-line access problem;

-         Financial status: accounting (pending), bank account transfer (pending) and credit card (received) – will be completed in March;

-         Change Mailchimp to the CTS credit card; 

  1. Membership Committee

 No report 

  1. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee

-         No report;

-         Ned Bell will be head of organizing committee for Slow Fish dinner in September; Celine to assist 

  1. Marketing & Branding

-         Stickers project confirmed

-         Members event in May at SPF

-         Business plan – Robert to email summary to board members

-         Dumpling cook-off in Chinatown – sponsor give money back $1000 – Mid Summer to be discussed further; email communication; Robert to send more info to board

-         TV segment from Chefs Table Society: Leeann is coordinating

-         Marketing agreement with TownHall Communication - vote all in favor

-         Robert is in contact with Linda Morris (Van City) 

  1. Spot Prawn Festival

-         Ryan could not attend – SPF meeting scheduled for Feb. 25 at 11h00 at PICA; in all likelihood, gala will not be held this year but will be planned for next year.  Tickets should go on sale late march/early April

-         Liquor license to be set-up asap (Celine)

-         Double contribution for 10th year (2016) 

  1. Curry Cup

-         101 tickets sold as of February 24 – still need to sell 69!  All are asked to tweet and facebook and promote the event

-         No reply from Mijune and Nathan re membership

-         Attending as volunteers: Neil and wife; Robert;

-         Wine sponsor – Leeann confirmed Mt. Boucherie

-         Chai tea from the Chai Company

-         Beer –  R&B sole sponsor;

-         Give away from Three Farmers (roasted chickpeas for all and gifts for judges)

  1. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee

-         Hawksworth Scholarship: still committed to 3rd year; 

  1. Miscellaneous

PSF – Costanza – Costanza to contact Scott; to help with breaking convention center; Oceanwise – canapés section to be taken over by CTS; heavy in salmon; April 16? Lead time might be to thight for this year.

 

Guests presentations:

International Tequila Expo:

-         Samantha Schofield, International Tequila Expo may 30 grand tasting – afternoon trade and evening consumer event;

-         Alan Sacks, BCHF

-         Manual Otero, International Tequila Expo

Proceeds to hospitality foundation set aside to create a scholarship for CTS (CTS to confirm participation in event).  Interested in working with tequila expo to fill 2 stations; ask for 1200 people (3 sous-chefs working together; station from CTS – 1 captain each) in the evening; bartender scholarship with BCHF; increasing profile of mescal and tequila in market; see agave week;

CTS to review and advise (Samantha to send info to Celine; what has to be done and ...) – no per diem; logo for sponsor, etc.  Criteria for scholarship to be developed by CTS and BCHF – professional development not just for young chefs

Membership nights:  tequila focus?

Oceanwise:

Kathy Muenster and Teddy Geach

10th anniversary – engaging the public Seafood Symposium on April 27 – new chefs engaged in Oceanwise; – 3 hours then party; networking option afterwards; resource for all chefs; sold out; Members’ events to stream event – viewing party?

____________________________________________________________________________________

Adjournment:  By: Scott Jaeger at 1532

Next board meeting: Tuesday March 31, 2015 at 14h00

Location:  Campagnolo, 1020 Main St.

Board Meeting Minutes – January 27, 2015

BOARD MEETING MINUTES

 Date:                Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Location:          Campagnolo, 1020 Main Street

Call to Order:    By: Scott Jaeger at 14h06

Roll Call:           By: Céline Turenne

Attendance:      Robert Belcham, Ryan Bissell, Andre Carlson, Robert Clark, Scott Jaeger, Kyle Nordman, Céline Turenne, Neil Wyles

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from November 25, 2014

1st: Ryan; 2nd: Scott

____________________________________________________________________________

 

  1. Financials

-         Fiscal 2015 Budget – presentation of budget as a guidelines for revenues and expenses for fiscal 2015 – to be voted on at next meeting

-         Financial reports 2014 – financial reports will be done in April;

-         Financial status: accounting (pending), bank account transfer (pending) and credit card (received) – will be completed in February;

-         Royal Bank:  one account; credit card has been given to Neil; when a deposit is needed then use credit card – 1k; transfer not done from HSBC to RBC as of yet – will be completed in February.

 

  1. Membership Committee

-         No activities

-         Blast email to lapsed member in February (Celine)

-         Membership table at Curry Cup

 

  1. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee

-         No new activity

 

  1. Marketing & Branding

-         CTS stickers’ update – Robert B. to follow up

-         Members’ event update – to be planned once insurance is in place

-         Kyle offered his long table facility for members’ events

 

  1. Spot Prawn Festival

-         Update from 1st committee meeting; members event

-         Food to be done at UBC; then transported over; Darren in charge

-         Next steps: long week-end?; members’ event on Sunday night, gala night on Saturday

-         Gala to be held at PICA – same format as Slow Fish;

 

  1. Curry Cup

-         Update from 1st committee meeting: looking for a wine, beer and chai tea sponsor

-         Volunteers: all good

 

  1. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee

-         Hawksworth Scholarship: new information; vote on next year’s involvement; Perpetuity founding sponsor no; Dinner yes; send letter back to say founding YES include CTS judge; events for David; Scott to have a meeting with David and finish off. Follow up in 1 week.

-         New member Danny Marcowitz has been asked to be chairperson; being discussed

 

  1. Miscellaneous

-         Insurance: due diligence to get insurance for all events (including serving alcohol) as well as liability insurance for board.

-         Dish’n Dazzle participation recap:  CTS is supplying 12 chefs (out of 14)

-         Oceanwise event: April 27, 2015 – more details to get from organizer (Céline)

-         Request for members email: mailing list not to be given out to anyone

 

Guests presentation:

 

Mike Meneer from Pacific Salmon Foundation with Constanza Testino

 

-         Talked with Chef Ned Bell – grant to Ned for his bicycling tour in 2014;

-         pink salmon festival (date: August 30 – free festival to be held at Vanier park) and PSF certification (Constanza); Vancouver gala dinner mid-April 600 at convention center – donations of meals in home from chefs);

-         how can the PSF be more supportive of our events like salmon safe (Slow fish mystery dinner);

-         funds available for sponsorship – dollars available for education event; sourcing from salmon safe and promoting PSF on our web site???  Finest at sea donates fish for raw bar;

-         Brenda (events director) – CTS to help with setting up guest chefs at convention center;

-         Corporate sponsorship for CTS to fit with philosophy; invitations to events set-up by CTS; corporate relationship coordinated efforts with PSF; educating the public; what it means to the chefs;  Chef Ned asked education given to members – event to be organized.  Held at UBC?

-         A point person to be named and communications made with PSF

____________________________________________________________________________

Adjournment:  By: Scott Jaeger at 15h30

Next board meeting: Tuesday February 24, 2015 at 14h00

Location:  Campagnolo, 1020 Main St.

Board Meeting Minutes – November 25, 2014

BOARD MEETING MINUTES

 Date:                Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Location:          Campagnolo, 1020 Main Street

Call to Order:    By: Scott Jaeger at 14h06

Roll Call:           By: Céline Turenne

Attendance:      Robert Belcham, Ryan Bissell, Jonathan Chovancek, Leeann Froese, Scott Jaeger Céline Turenne, Chris Whittaker

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from October 28, 2014

1st: Scott Jaeger;  2nd: Robert Belcham

____________________________________________________________________________

 

  1. Financial Report

-         January 1 starting point for financials;

-         Budget proposal  postponed to end of January for vote

-         All invoices and expenses are to be send to ED for processing, then cheque request will be made to Treasurer

-         Motion to vote on organizing  old books by Scott Jaeger, seconded by Robert Belcham and Ryan Bissell, approved by all.

 

  1. Membership Committee

 -         Membership committee meeting held in November:  a new automated membership system will be considered for implementation in first quarter 2015 to facilitate membership management.

-         Addition of automated renewal option with 30-day cancellation clause approved by all

-         Increased members benefits needed

-         E-blast to be sent to all students and lapsed members including best 3 pictures from events – Celine to coordinate

-         Member appreciations event – due for one in January

-         Vendors or supplier will be incorporated at $200.00 yearly and featured on web site; Vendors criteria for becoming approved; does your business align with CTS values

-         Salt spring coffee application – Celine to follow-up

-         Web site is static vs Facebook and twitter; #belong @walkin; create a private group on Facebook (to be managed by Kyle – Celine to change his rights)

-         Mission statement to be re-visited(Leeann to review and advise)

-         See Kyle for template for newsletter

-         All board members to add proud member of CTS; # and “like” on Facebook; add on bottom of menus and other material;

-         Stickers for CTS:  Robert B. to look into – already designed but modifications are needed to add social media

 

  1. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee

 No report

 

  1. Marketing & Branding

 Member events to be organized in 2015 – insurance needs to be finalized for events to happen

 

  1. Spot Prawn Festival

 -         Robert Clark will be on committee;

-         Ryan to have a meeting in January with Mike at wharf

-         Event marketing personnel and catering facilities from UBC to organize

-         Entertainment to be added

-         Line-up to be managed differently from last year

-         Food offered will be different

-         First committee meeting: January 19, 2015

 

  1. Curry Cup

 -         Update from 1st committee meeting: $65.00 + tax and fee (TBC)

-         Same format as last’s year with minor modifications:  beer only and no wine; non-alcoholic cocktail with hot chai tea in a go cup when guests leave;

-         Leeann to send out “Reserve Date” and “Tickets sale” press releases – if media and appearance, then must make sure tickets are available for sale at that time;

-         Media judge? Colleen Christie?

-         Discussion needed on who will receive the proceeds from  the event: Project Chef to receive 2k (Celine to contact Barb and remind about membership lapse)

-         Thank you to Katharine Manson for sender her detailed step by step for the event management!

 

  1. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee

 -         Hawksworth Scholarship: recap of meeting:  as per David Hawksworth comment, CTS can vote not to participate in year 3; a few points need to be clarified:

-         In principle we are founding sponsor – they approached us in the beginning and CTS should be linked in perpetuity which was the main reason for participating;

-         How HYCS will cooperate so CTS can get the money to help pay scholarship needs to be worked out;

-         Move forward with letter and next move to know what HYCS commitment is;

-         Board had agreed to continue relationship providing above-mentioned points are clarified.

 

  1. Miscellaneous

 -         Dish n’Dazzle participation: Celine to coordinate chefs’ participation with BCHF;  CTS would like 2 or 3 products to be selected (linked to featured wine) and prepared by all chefs.

-         Oceanwise presentation:  member appreciation event at Aquarium would be a good idea;  Celine to reply to Ann Marie Copping and loop in Robert Belcham.

 

  1. Executive Director report

 -         Time/Attendance/etc:  all members to provide a proxy is no co-chair;  at least chair or co-chair need to be present at meetings;

-         Membership Drive:  Celine to carry on with contacting lapsed members.

-         Motion to get small storage locker by Celine Turenne; seconded by Scott Jaeger and Ryan Bissell; approved by all.

____________________________________________________________________________

Adjournment:  By: Scott Jaeger at 15h35

Next board meeting: Tuesday. January 27, 2015 at 14h00

Location:  Campagnolo, 1020 Main St.

Board Meeting Minutes – September 29, 2014

 BOARD MEETING MINUTES

 Date:                Monday, September 29, 2014

Location:          Barbara Jo’s Books to Cooks – 1740 W. 2nd Avenue, Vancouver

Call to Order:    By: Scott Jaeger at 14h04

Roll Call:           By: Céline Turenne

Attendance:      Robert Belcham, Ryan Bissell, Andrea Carlson, Sid Cross, Jonathan Chovancek, Scott Jaeger, Kyle Nordman, Céline Turenne, Neil Wyles

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from August 26, 2014

1st: Kyle Nordman; 2nd:Jonathan Chovancek

__________________________________________________________________________________

 

  1. Financial Report
  • 2-year financial report presented based on fiscal year which is calendar year;
  • going forward each event will have its own expenses/revenues breakdown;
  • balance sheet shows a balance 55k (does not include revenues and disbursements after July 31, 2014)
  • a corporate sponsor is needed to offset the cost of Hawksworth scholarship

 

  1. Membership Committee
  •  Renew/become a member set-up will be reviewed as problem have been mentioned by members Kyle and Céline to work on this project
  • Sign-up table needs to be set-up at all events

 

  1. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee
  •  Report on Slow Fish Mystery: 86 tickets sold out of 100, a profitable event after all expenses are paid.  Profit will be set aside as seed money for next year’s event.  Céline to provide final numbers to Neil to earmark for Slow Fish Dinner 2015.

 

  1. Marketing & Branding
  •  No report

 

  1. Health & Wellness Committee
  •  Scott proposes to dissolved this Committee; 1st: Robert B; 2nd: Kyle

 

  1. Spot Prawn Festival
  •  Ryan is keeping chair – Jonathan and Kyle are in committee; corporate sponsorships needed to help with costs.
  • A date for a committee meeting will be set-up at the October Board meeting in October.

 

  1. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee
  •  Growing Chef sponsorship package – members are already participating – donation of gift certificate – Robert B and Scott;  Bittered Sling gift basket  by Jonathan;  to be coordinated by Céline

 

  1. Miscellaneous
  •  Auction item for Tina Fineza fundraiser: CTS gift basket including t-shirts, memberships, a year’s worth of event tickets, etc.  Céline to coordinate.

 

New Business:

  •  Hawksworth Scholarship: Scott to have a meeting with David to discuss 3rd year.
  •  Executive Director position: board voted yes on non-renewal of current ED – letter to be written and sent; recruitment will take place to fill position; interim to be assumed by Céline

 ___________________________________________________________________________________

Adjournment:  By: Scott Jaeger at 15h05

Next board meeting: Tuesday October 28, 2014 14h00

Location:  Campagnolo, 1020 Main St.

 

Pages: 1 2 3