Board Meeting Minutes, January 28, 2014

BOARD MEETING MINUTES

  

Date:                 Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Location:       P.I.C.A.

                           1505, W 2nd Avenue

                           Vancouver BC

Call to Order:  By: Scott Jaeger

                               At:  15h02

Roll Call:          By:  Scott Jaeger

Attendance:    Robert Belcham, Ryan Bissel, Robert Clark, Scott Jaeger, Katharine Manson, , Kyle Nordman, Celine Turenne, Nessa van Bergen, Chris Whittaker, Neil Wyles

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from November 26, 2013

1st:  N/A

2nd: N/A

____________________________________________________________________________

1.  Financial Report

Neil commented that more revenues need to be generated.  Financial report not yet filed.

2.  Membership Committee

  • Chris and Kyle will meet in February to discuss plans for the new year.
  • Vintners Brunch, March 2, 2014:  CTS’ presence coordinated by Kyle; a table will be set-up with CTS banners (Jonathan has them)  - membership can be set-up on site.  Good potential for new members.
  • Successful visit of Art Institute of Vancouver by Robert Belcham.  More visits in the future as interest shown by the school to continue collaboration.
  • Students still get free 1st year membership, but renewal for subsequent years will be at regular fee with new code set-up in system by Nessa.
  • Celine and Nessa will work on re-organizing members’ list and coordinate approach to have members from prior years renew their membership.
  • Increase communication with members is needed to keep interest in CTS high. Automated emails set-up was done by Katharine in the past and those can be used. Currently an automated email is sent to new members.
  • Amex is still a problem with Paypal.  Members wishing to pay with Amex contact Nessa and she will process their transaction manually.  Nessa will unload and re-load the Paypal link so see if the problem is fixed.  She will work with Karen if not.

 3.  Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee

Robert Clark met with the Slow Fish group and gave a presentation.  He discussed how CTS and Slow Fish can move forward together.

The goal is to participate in events to raise money for Slow Fish but also accomplish other goals aside from fundraising.  CTS will get involved, but objectives need to be clear.

Robert will prepare something in writing for the web site to gauge membership’s interest in building a relationship with Slow Fish.  Nessa to post.

4.  Marketing & Branding

  • Curry Cup update from Kyle (email from Jonathan):  organization is well under way with restaurants and judges selections almost finalized.  Very good response from sponsors for set-up logistics and consumables.   Thank you to all board members who got involved in helping organize this event.  It will be one of the fund raisers for CTS and might be added to the annual events' list.  A premium of a CTS engraved wine glass will be offered to members who show up at the event and show their membership card.  At the event, a cheque for a sponsorship will be donated to Growing Chefs.  Growing Chefs' volunteers will work at the event.  Details will be posted on CTS web site and PR for the event will be made available as soon as most details are finalized.
  • Spot Prawns Festival pictures were requested by the Travel Network for their “Bizarre Food” show.  This show should air sometime in the Spring.

 5.  Health & Wellness Committee

       Ned was unable to attend – no report.

6.  Spot Prawn Festival 

  • Date to be confirmed as soon as possible since Nessa is getting requests from different organizations and individuals for planning purposes.  It will be held in May either week-end of 11th  or 18th.
  •  Chris sent a letter to Chris Sporer (Pacific Prawn Fishermen’s Association) for sponsorship.  He will follow-up and communicate their response.
  •  Planning should start now to have Festival's 10th year anniversary include personalities from West Coast area.

 7.  Fundraising/Scholarship Committee

Scott requested that more requests to be made for books from the Barbara Jo’s Scholarship.

New Business:

       Presentation from Streetsmart Canada did not take place.

__________________________________________________________________________,_

Adjournment:  By:  Scott Jaeger

At:   16h11

Next board meeting:  Tuesday, February 25, 2014

 

 

Board Meeting Minutes November 26, 2013

Date:               Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Location:         P.I.C.A. - 1505, W 2nd Avenue, Vancouver BC

Call to Order:  By: Scott Jaeger

At:  14h30

Roll Call:          By:  Jonathan Chovancek

Attendance:    Robert Belcham, Ryan Bissell, Julian Bond, Andrea Carlson, Jonathan Chovancek, Robert Clark, Sid Cross, Scott Jaeger, Kathryn Manson, Kyle Nordman, Nessa Van Bergen, Chris Whittaker

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from October 29, 2013

1st:  Nessa van Bergen

2nd: Sid Cross

____________________________________________________________________________

 

  1. Financial Report - Neil WylesUnable to attend - no report.  Nessa requires last year’s financials from Neil.  Expediting of this would be great. 
  2. Membership Committee – Kyle Nordman and Chris Whittaker We are currently at 108 active/76 inactive members as of November 2013.Jonathan and Robert B will go to A.I. to generate student membership. Students to be given free 2014 membership but no shirt.  Nessa to create a coupon code and send to Jonathan & Robert.  Hard cost of each new membership with t-shirt is $15 per person.

    Jonathan to do an email introduction to JC Felicella at VCC.

    Nessa to set up a new Pay Pal account with a link to pay membership dues with the reminder letter and will send email reminders to inactive/lapsed memberships. Membership Committee to follow up.

     

  3. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee – update from Rob ClarkRobert investigated the potential for partnership opportunities with SLOW FISH. There is a great opportunity to help build the infrastructure and network and to guide the organization to matters which meet the CTS’s ethical position and highlight smaller fisheries in need of global attention.Scholarship opportunities for members to travel to Italy with Slow Fish would add to the value of membership in the CTS.

    Robert would sit as the Slow Fish chair on the CTS board.

    Nessa to write a membership interest letter to asses CTS members interest in joining Slow Fish with the replies to go to Robert Clark and he will discuss the feedback at the next board meeting.

     

  4. Marketing & Branding – update from Robert BelchamThe last marketing meeting yielded a proposal for a new event to be held in March ‘The Curry Cup”.Jonathan & Kyle presented an overview of the event for approval to move forward with a formal event plan. Board unanimously voted to move forward.  Event plan to be reviewed outside of a formal meeting in early December so we can start event planning and marketing in early January.

     

  5. Health & Wellness Committee Unable to attend – no report. 
  6. Spot Prawn Festival – update form Ryan Bissell Volunteers needed to get rolling for Feb 1 2014.Can we get the Mayor and some Sustainable Celebrities to be part of the festival this year?

    Sid suggested a fundraiser attached to the festival with 4-6 high profile chefs doing a high ticket price dinner.

    Nikki Bailey from Eater wants to join the spot prawn committee.

     

  7. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee – update from Scott JaegerScott met with Lee Murphy of Vista D’Oro Farm/Winery to discuss a series of events to be held at the end of September 2014:  5 events over 5 nights, 50-100 guests. $150 per person ballpark.  Lee wants to provide wines and rentals.Sid suggested a Chef’s table at each dinner with premium wines and price.

    Suggested possible restaurants - Pear Tree, Okanagan Chefs, Joy Road Catering/ Jeff Van Geest, /Hawksworth

    Scott to work out event/ business plan

    New Business:

     

  8. Presentation by Mathew Dixon from Cowpower (www.cowpowerbc.com - see attachment for presentation details)

 

  1. Nessa to roll out a 2014 event calendar to organize volunteers and marketing.
  2.  Nessa moves to join Tourism Vancouver , Scott motions, Ryan seconds. Movement passes @ $284 for the year
  3.  Dish N Dazzle partnership- Nessa working on memoranda of understanding to forward to Scott to present to the board.
  4.  Nessa will send out the Board a list of 30 questions for a ‘Get To Know Your Board Better’ marketing segment. It will include a non PR picture.

____________________________________________________________________________

 

Adjournment:  By:  Scott Jaeger

At:   16:30

Next board meeting:  January 28, 2014

Board Meeting Minutes for October 29, 2013

Date:               Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Location:         P.I.C.A. 1505, W 2nd Avenue, Vancouver BC

Call to Order:  By: Scott Jaeger At:  14h05

Roll Call:          By:  Jonathan Chovancek

Attendance:    Robert Belcham, Jonathan Chovancek, Robert (Rob) Clark, Sid Cross, Scott Jaeger, Céline Turenne, Nessa van Bergen

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from September 24, 2013

1st:  Jonathan Chovancek

2nd: Robert Clark

____________________________________________________________________________

 

1.    Céline Turenne for Secretary Position

Motion unanimously accepted.

 

2.    Financial Report - Neil Wyles

Unable to attend

 

3.    Membership Committee

Unable to attend, update sent to Nessa.

Good sign up of new members at Member Appreciation Event held on September 29, 2013. students from Northwest Culinary Academy of Vancouver have indicated willingness to volunteer for various events/committees.

Follow-up on how to address lapsed memberships to be discussed at next board meeting.  Celine and Nessa volunteered to help if needed/required by committee chair.

 

4.    Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee – update from Rob Clark

Robert assessing if Slow Fish relationship with CTS would be a good fit. 

 

5.    Marketing & Branding – update from Robert Belcham

Expenditure for CTS promotional stickers approved; 2 categories: stickers to be included in the Barbara Jo’s scholarship books that are given out and general ones.  Small quantities to start, re-ordered as needed.

Robert and Kathryn met with Vancouver Magazine and relationship with CTS is being discussed with possible changes reviewed.  On-going conversation, will be updated at next board meeting.

 

6.    Health & Wellness Committee

Unable to attend

 

7.    Spot Prawn Festival

Unable to attend, update sent to Nessa

Volunteer needed for this committee.  Daryn from PICA indicated he wants to be involved to make execution easier (set-up at PICA).

 

8.    Fundraising/Scholarship Committee – update from Scott

Three $1500-scholarships were given:  one to Northwest Culinary Academy of Vancouver, one to Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts (PICA) and one to Carson High School.  In the future, one will be given to Red Seal applicant.

A Fall event is needed.  Scott is thinking of a farm set-up for a week with 2 to 3 chefs each night.  Tickets would be sold by third party with funds going to CTS.  Discussion and answer needed from board and to be added to January agenda.

 

9.    Hawksworth Young Chef Scholarship – event post mortem – Scott & Nessa

Congratulations to Paul Moran from Kelowna, 2013 Hawksworth Young Chef Scholarship recipient of a $10,000 offered by the Chefs’ Table Society.

All agreed it was a very successful event.  Involvement of CTS in future is agreed with contract and details to be finalized.  Brand exposure and logo placement to be reviewed to maximize visibility.  Fine-tuning of presentation to be worked on for next year’s event.  Any comments to be sent to Nessa.

Nessa suggested a letter be sent to all participants and a free membership be given for a year.

 

New Business:

10.  Presentation from Tarren Wolfe, Founder of Urban Cultivator

Sustainable, ecological and nutritional option to grow fresh herbs and micro-greens indoor.

For more information: www.urbancultivator.net; 1 877 352 0490

 

____________________________________________________________________________

 

Adjournment:  By:  Jonathan Chovancek

At:   15h47

 

Next board meeting:  November 26, 2013

Board Meeting Minutes for September 24, 2013

Location: Barbara Jo’s Books to Cooks Call to Order – Julian 2:10pm

Roll Call – Mary Mackay noted attendance

In Attendance:                                                     

Julian Bond, Robert Clark, Mary Mackay ,Neil Wyles, Scott Jaeger, Robert Belcham, Chris Whittaker, Kyle Nordman, Ned Bell, Nessa van Bergen, Jonathan Chovancek, Andrea Carlson, Ryan Bissell, Josh Wolfe, Curtis Webb, Dwayne Botcher

Approval of Board Minutes August 27, 2013– Nessa van Bergen 1st, Robert Belcham 2nd

Financial Report – Neil

  • No Report – Neil reminded      the board that there is a need to regenerate revenue.

Board Slate 2013/2014

  • Board reviewed the slate and approved for 2013/2014
  • Secretary position still to be filled.

Hawksworth Scholarship- Nessa

  • Scott will present the $10,000 cheque to the winner on behave of the CTS, at PICA on October 27, 2013.
  • Nessa has been provided with budget information, board will review.
  • 19 applications to date, 13 from BC.
  • 2 tickets to attend the gala dinner at Hawksworth Restaurant to be auctioned off, this will be used as a fundraising opportunity for CTS.
  • 30 tickets will be made available for membership to attend and observe the competition.

Donation Request - Nessa

  • Growing Chefs has put in a request for a Dine Around Package from the CTS, Nessa will mention to membership at the AGM.

CONNECT Show/CRFA request for Chef Demos - Nessa

  • GFS is sponsoring a chef demo stage at the show and is looking for chefs, no budget, ingredients will be provided by GFS.
  • CTS are interested in running the stage at next year’s show for a budget.

Generic Inquiries through the website-Nessa

  • Nessa to manage the forum and will direct chefs to be involved with responding to questions posted on the website.
  • Board members to post on forum as well as Facebook to drive members to forum.

 

New Business:

Kyle and Chris visited North West Culinary Institute to talk to students about CTS, handed out Belong cards.

Motion to cover the cost of culinary student’s membership dues for 1st year of membership provided they are presently registered in a local culinary school by Kyle and Chris.

Board voted and passed the motion.  CTS will cover cost of the membership; this will not include a free t-shirt.  Students will receive a free t-shirt after volunteering at a CTS event.

Membership appreciation brewery tour on Sunday, September 29 at 2pm.  Karen will handle membership sign up at the event.

Motion to not require the Board Secretary Position to be a chef was put forward by Mary.  Board voted and passed the motion.

Meeting Adjourned at 3:19pm – Julian Bond

Meeting Minutes

Board Meeting Minutes for August 27, 2013

Location: PICA Call to Order – Julian 2:06pm

Roll Call – Mary Mackay noted attendance

Attendance:                                                         

Julian Bond, Robert Clark, Mary Mackay ,Neil Wyles, Scott Jaeger, Robert Belcham, Chris Whittaker, Sid Cross, Alvina Quek, Kyle Nordmon, Ned Bell, Nessa van Bergen, Cate Simpson, Victor Girardi

Approval of Board Minutes June 25, 2013– Robert Clark 1st, Robert Belcham 2nd

Financial Report – Neil

  • $62,000 cash on hand

Executive Director

  • Nessa van Bergen has been appointed the position of Executive Director.  Contract to begin September 2013 and continue for 12 month term.

Board Positions

  • All Board Members to update bio’s for website to post for AGM.
  • Alvina Quek administrator contract ends August 31, 2013 – thanks to Alvina for all her work for the society.

Barbara-Jo’s Books to Cooks Scholarship- Scott

  • Barbara Jo has established a $5,000 bursary for literary scholarships. 
  • Scholarship to be posted on the CTS website with link to Barbara-Jo’s Books to Cooks.  Will advertise at local culinary schools and Scout Magazine.
  • One scholarship to be handed out at the September 2013 AGM.  AGM will be held at Barbara Jo’s shop.

Hawksworth Scholarship- Nessa

  • Nessa has been attending meetings and will represent CTS. 
  • Scholarship PR material did not include CTS logo or brand mention, Nessa will follow-up with the Hawksworth team. 
  • 4 applications to date with a deadline of September 21, 2013.
  • CTS will provide a $10,000 cheque to the winning applicant.

Spot Prawn Festival-Chris

  • Chris is handing off the Spot Prawn Festival Chair position to Ryan Bissell. 

Membership-Chris

  • Chris will co-chair the membership committee with Kyle Nordman. 

AGM:

  • Tuesday, September 24, 2013 at Barbara-Jo’s Books to Cooks.  Regular Board Meeting from 2pm -3:30pm.  AGM from 3:30pm-4pm. 
  • New Board Slate to be prepared for voting at the AGM.  Ned Bell would like to chair a new Health and Wellness Committee.  Positions to fill include Secretary and Partnerships & Sponsorships.

New Business:

Next Membership Drive/Appreciation Night will be held on Sunday, September 29th

Meeting Adjourned at 3:04pm – Julian Bond

Pages: 1 2 3 4