Board meeting minutes, October 28, 2014

 BOARD MEETING MINUTES

Date:                Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Location:          Campagnolo, 1020 Main Street

Call to Order:    By: Scott Jaeger at 14h04

Roll Call:           By: Céline Turenne

Attendance:      Robert Belcham, Andrea Carlson, Leeann Froese, Scott Jaeger, Kyle Nordman, Céline Turenne, Chris Whittaker

Guests:  Tyler Day, Mathew Koyanagi, Alberto Ruiz Larrea Medina,

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from September 29, 2014

1st:  Robert Belcham; 2nd: Kyle Nordman

__________________________________________________________________________________

 

  1. Financial Report

 No report

 

  1. Membership Committee

-         Kyle has found alternatives for the on-line membership; Céline, Kyle and Chris to meet and review;

-         new drive – schools and a letter from the board to all lapsed members – draft by Céline sent around.

-         Senior and juniors in all establishments should be members.

-         Members event:  City of Vancouver garbage demo; Andre Larivière (Robert B. to contact and coordinate)

 

  1. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee

 - Slow Fish Mystery Chef Dinner – CONFIRMED for Sunday September 27, 2015

 

  1. Marketing & Branding

 -         Marketing Plan – meeting at Peartree (done by Karen and Katharine) – everyone to read and respond to Robert B. as to where CTS is going and should go.  Please all – by next Friday (separate email send to the board). Celine will consolidate answers and forward to Robert B for analysis and recap for next board meeting.

-         Robert wants to involve Leeann in the process of determining where we are going and if change is needed how to go about it.

 

  1. Spot Prawn Festival

-  Date for first committee meeting to be confirmed – send email to Ryan to follow-up as changes need to be done to format, planning needs to start now.

 

  1. Curry Cup

 -         November 15  start of event planning copy of last year’s event – post event feedback from guests - Céline to organize;

-         Silent auction to prepare; raffle; sell more tickets 30 more;

-         Leeann wine contacts; Céline to offer information about Slow fish wineries.

-         Event’s save the date.  March 3, 2015; December all details judges, participants.

Insurance:  email Neil for details;

 

  1. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee

 -         Auction item for Growing Chef (recap) – Bittered Sling package $55; dinner gift certificates part of “dine out for a year package” – generated $1000

-         Hawksworth Scholarship: next steps meeting Nov. 6 – finding a sponsor to find money for the prize; all participants be members of CTS; increase attendance from CTS;

-         Hospitality scholarship:  giving 3 scholarship - 1 high school and 2 college level  at lunch on Monday at Connect Show.  Scott to attend.

 

  1. Miscellaneous

 -         Auction item for Tina Fineza fundraiser (recap) – $500 value, generated $300.00

 

  1. Executive Director report

 -         Executive Director recruitment: next steps – will start in the new year;

-         Time/Attendance/etc.: discussion needed on attendance to meetings; ALL TO RESPOND TO EMAILS SENT.

-         Review of financial set-up and next steps

Motion to accepts revamped financial structure:

In order to simplify the accounting process within the Society, to facilitate reporting, it is proposed that the Society will go to:

-         From 2 bank accounts to only 1 (keep one currently at RBC)

-         2 account holders on record at all times:  President and Treasurer

-         2 signees: President and Treasurer

1 signee for amounts less than and equal to $2500.00

2 signees for amounts greater than $2500.00

-         Request to be made for a CTS credit card: to be used for monthly charges (web hosting, contact management software, etc)

-         Request to be made for client card

1 allowing all transactions

1 allowing deposits only

-         Additional contacts on file (info given, no transactions):  Executive Director and Secretary

Motion proposed by Céline Turenne - 1st: Scott Jaeger; 2nd: Robert Belcham

Céline will initiate the change process.

 ___________________________________________________________________________________

Adjournment:  By: Scott Jaeger at 14h57

Next board meeting: Tuesday. November 25, 2014 at 14h00

Location:  Campagnolo, 1020 Main St.

Annual General Meeting Minutes, September 29, 2014

Annual General Meeting 2014 Minutes

 Date:                Monday, September 29, 2014

Location:          Barbara Jo’s Books to Cooks – 1740 W. 2nd Avenue, Vancouver

 Call to Order By Scott Jaeger at 15h09

 Roll Call: By Céline Turenne

In attendance: Robert Belcham, Ryan Bissell, Andrea Carlson, Sid Cross, Jonathan Chovancek, Scott Jaeger, Kyle Nordman, Céline Turenne, Neil Wyles, Barb Finley, Christine Derek, Leeann Froese, Joanne Mackinnon, Gus Stieffenhofer, Victor Girardi

Approval of AGM Minutes:  September 23, 2013

Motion to approve by Céline Turenne; 1st: Kyle Nordman; 2nd: Jonathan Chovancek

___________________________________________________________________________________

 

  1. President's report – Scott Jaeger

Thank you to Barbara Jo for the use of her store to hold CTS board and AGM meetings as well as for the Barbara Jo’s Scholarship program.

Very happy with the board’s energy.  The role of the Executive Director will change in the new year.  Exciting events with new annual events Curry Cup and Slow Fish Mystery Dinner and on-going success of Spot Prawn Festival.  Hawksworth Scholarship for second year, a 10k cheque given to Michael Christiansen, winner of this year’s competition – competition is now expanded to all of Canada and will be the same in 2015.

 

  1. Vice-president’s report – Jonathan Chovancek

Looking forward to another year working with board members in creating events and promoting CTS. Causes such as 4ARL will be at the forefront this year.

 

  1. Presentation of un-audited 2014 Financial Statements – Neil Wyles

Positive balance of 50k with additional revenues generated by this year’s events.

 

  1. Secretary's report – Céline Turenne

Meetings will be scheduled last Tuesday of every month except for December and July.  All who want to attend are welcome, with notice to Secretary.

Special thank you to Katharine Manson, Manson Communications and Leeann Froese, Townhall Brands for on-going support of marketing activities throughout the year and special support during the last month.

 

  1. Presentations from Committee Chairs:

Spot Prawn Festival Committee – Ryan Bissel

  •  Successfull 2014 Festival (slide show) will be expanded in vision and scope for 2015 one;
  • Looking forward to working with committee to expand Festival.

Branding & Marketing Committee - Robert Belcham

  •  2 successful members events:  R&B Brewing with food trucks and visit of second brewery and First spot prawn taste in the city at Campagnolo.
  • Looking forward to focus marketing approach and goals for the Society.
  • Call out for more volunteers in social media and graphic design.  Volunteers to contact info@chefstablesociety.
  • Will be working with Executive Director to increase traffic on web site and social media presence.

Membership Committee – Kyle Nordman

  •  Curry Cup sold out 5 days prior to event (slide show). 2015 event scheduled for March 3;
  • Will keep working with schools to increase awareness and inform students about Society
  • Signing up members at events will be a priority

Scholarship Committee – Scott Jaeger

  •  4 scholarships given out in conjunction with BC Hospitality Foundation for a total of 6k
  • Growing chefs and Projects Chef will be looked at as recipients for upcoming years sponsorships
  • Will look at Hawksworth scholarship and how to generate funds for prize
  • Barbara Jo’s scholarship recipients to be evaluated and confirmed – one grant per season

Sustainability Committee – Robert Clark (Céline Turenne gave report)

  •  Working with Slow Food movement and their Slow Fish initiative to help promote ideology.
  • First Slow Fish Mystery Dinner was held on September 27 (slide show) and will be an annual event.  Successful evening with participation from Sustainable fishers, salmon safe wine producers and organization to promote and educate public on slow fish concept.

 

  1. 2013/2014 Board resignation

All board members resigned their current position on the Board

 

  1. 2014/2015 Board nomination and election

President: Scott Jaeger

Past President: Julian Bond

Vice-President: Jonathan Chovancek

Treasurer: Neil Wyles

Secretary: Céline Turenne

Chairs:  Robert Belcham, Ryan Bissell, Andrea Carlson, Robert Clark, Kyle Nordman, Chris Whittaker

Advisors:  Sid Cross, Jamie Maw

Motion to approve new Board slate by Neil Wyles: 1st:  Kyle Nordman; 2nd: Jonathan Chovancek

____________________________________________________________________________________

Meeting Adjournment by Scott Jaeger at 16h05

Board Meeting Minutes – September 29, 2014

 BOARD MEETING MINUTES

 Date:                Monday, September 29, 2014

Location:          Barbara Jo’s Books to Cooks – 1740 W. 2nd Avenue, Vancouver

Call to Order:    By: Scott Jaeger at 14h04

Roll Call:           By: Céline Turenne

Attendance:      Robert Belcham, Ryan Bissell, Andrea Carlson, Sid Cross, Jonathan Chovancek, Scott Jaeger, Kyle Nordman, Céline Turenne, Neil Wyles

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from August 26, 2014

1st: Kyle Nordman; 2nd:Jonathan Chovancek

__________________________________________________________________________________

 

  1. Financial Report
  • 2-year financial report presented based on fiscal year which is calendar year;
  • going forward each event will have its own expenses/revenues breakdown;
  • balance sheet shows a balance 55k (does not include revenues and disbursements after July 31, 2014)
  • a corporate sponsor is needed to offset the cost of Hawksworth scholarship

 

  1. Membership Committee
  •  Renew/become a member set-up will be reviewed as problem have been mentioned by members Kyle and Céline to work on this project
  • Sign-up table needs to be set-up at all events

 

  1. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee
  •  Report on Slow Fish Mystery: 86 tickets sold out of 100, a profitable event after all expenses are paid.  Profit will be set aside as seed money for next year’s event.  Céline to provide final numbers to Neil to earmark for Slow Fish Dinner 2015.

 

  1. Marketing & Branding
  •  No report

 

  1. Health & Wellness Committee
  •  Scott proposes to dissolved this Committee; 1st: Robert B; 2nd: Kyle

 

  1. Spot Prawn Festival
  •  Ryan is keeping chair – Jonathan and Kyle are in committee; corporate sponsorships needed to help with costs.
  • A date for a committee meeting will be set-up at the October Board meeting in October.

 

  1. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee
  •  Growing Chef sponsorship package – members are already participating – donation of gift certificate – Robert B and Scott;  Bittered Sling gift basket  by Jonathan;  to be coordinated by Céline

 

  1. Miscellaneous
  •  Auction item for Tina Fineza fundraiser: CTS gift basket including t-shirts, memberships, a year’s worth of event tickets, etc.  Céline to coordinate.

 

New Business:

  •  Hawksworth Scholarship: Scott to have a meeting with David to discuss 3rd year.
  •  Executive Director position: board voted yes on non-renewal of current ED – letter to be written and sent; recruitment will take place to fill position; interim to be assumed by Céline

 ___________________________________________________________________________________

Adjournment:  By: Scott Jaeger at 15h05

Next board meeting: Tuesday October 28, 2014 14h00

Location:  Campagnolo, 1020 Main St.

 

Board Meeting Minutes – August 26, 2014

Date:               Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Location:         Campagnolo, 1020 Main St., Vancouver BC

Call to Order:  By: Robert Belcham @ 14:04

Roll Call:          By: Céline Turenne

Attendance:     Robert Belcham, Ryan Bissell, Robert Clark, Scott Jaeger, Kyle Nordman, Céline Turenne, Neil Wyles

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from June 24, 2014

1st: Robert Belcham; 2nd:Ryan Bissell

____________________________________________________________________________

 1. Financial Report

57k in account – expenses from Hawksworth’s competition not included in current balance.

Hawksworth’s competition commitment to be reviewed for future years.  Event is scheduled for September 28, 2014 at PICA.  Still to confirm if a table for dinner on Sunday is included.

2. Membership Committee

 On-going work with schools.

  3. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee

-        Mystery chefs dinner to help promote Slow Fish:

  • all fish products are confirmed;
  • 7 out 8 chefs are confirmed.
  • Tickets are $79.00 (130 available) and will be sold on-line at Eventbrite (Robert B will organize with Katharine)
  • Profits from event will be set aside as seed money for next year’s event.

-        Rob clark is working on securing Albion as a CTS sponsor

4. Marketing & Branding

 Curry Cup 2015 - March 3: keep same set-up as 2014; invite Simi Sara as guest judge

 5. Health & Wellness Committee

 No report

6. Spot Prawn Festival

 Needs a new chair for next year’s event. To be discussed at AGM.

7. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee

 -        No update - on Barbara Jo’s appearance on television with a chef to promote her scholarship (Nessa) and twitter coverage/contest (Nessa and Jonathan)

-        Update from Scott – 2 letters receive PICA and Northwest  Scott to follow up

-        Update - Letter from UBC to be signed by CTS; Robert B. looking into it, not news yet.

 -        Auction item for Tina Fineza: suggestion is “Chefs dinner at someone’s house” 5 chefs cooking at the winner’s house for up to 10 people – including wine and service. Neil to contact Nathan Fong to see if prize can be part of Passions’ event auction offering.

New Business:

 -        No update - on anti-spam legislation and impact on CTS (Nessa)

-        No update - Finalization of insurance coverage (Nessa) – if not completed by Mystery Chefs dinner then a one event insurance contract will need to be secured.

-        guest presentation postponed to AGM :Metro Vancouver representatives to discuss the new garbage/organic initiatives coming online in 2015 (Neil)

 -        Annual General Meeting:

  • Date: MONDAY September 29, 2014 at 15h00
  • Location: Barbara Jo’s Books to Cooks 1740 West 2nd Avenue
  • Suggestion of after meeting member get together to be confirmed; Neil to confirm wharf location
  • Céline to send required preparation by each chair – presence is mandatory
  • Céline to prepare and send agenda

 -        Scott to follow-up with Nessa on current situation and advise board

 ____________________________________________________________________________

Adjournment:  By: Scott Jaeger  At: 1505

Next board meeting: Monday, September 29, 2014 14h00 followed by AGM at 15h00

Location:  Barbara Jo’s Books to Cooks

Board Meeting Minutes

BOARD MEETING MINUTES

 

Date:               Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Location:         Campagnolo, 1020 Main St., Vancouver BC

Call to Order:  By: Scott Jaeger  At: 14h08

Roll Call:          By: Céline Turenne

Attendance:     Robert Belcham, Andrea Carlson, Jonathan Chovancek, Robert Clark, Scott Jaeger, Kyle Nordman, Céline Turenne, Nessa Van Bergen, Chris Whittaker, Neil Wyles

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from May 27, 2014

1st: Chris Whittaker

2nd: Jonathan Chovancek

____________________________________________________________________________

 

  1. Financial Report

 

Status of funds:  57k – fundraising events are needed to maintain funds level.

 

  1. Membership Committee

 

ght visits are planned to attract students to join along with membership events.

 

  1. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee

 

Slow Fish month is scheduled for October and Nessa is in touch with the organization to see how CTS can help planning/benefiting from the event (stand-by position for now).  Plan so far include a Slow Fish Crawl.

 

  1. Marketing & Branding

 

Hawksworth competition: September 28, 2014

 

Participation to Hawksworth Competition is confirmed for 2014 with commitments from David Hawksworth cooking at CTS still pending (Nessa to follow-up on David’s availability).  Vote will be taken for participation in 2015 event.

 

Suggestion was made to combine fundraising events to raise funds for Hawksworth competition and Chefs for Oceans.  Additional sponsorships will be sought to help generate funds.

 

Suggestion was made to organize a Mystery chefs dinner – sweet and savoury event (PICA) – Nessa to follow up with Julian

 

  1. Health & Wellness Committee

 

No report

 

  1. Spot Prawn Festival

 

No update, postponed to August

 

  1. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee

 

Barbara-Jo McIntosh discussed her commitment to her literacy scholarship and discussion was held on how to maximize requests for books.  Barbara-Jo has been invited to cooking schools and further discussion was held on how to involve the schools in getting books for their students.  Nessa will talk to LeeAnn about Barbara-Jo appearing on television with a chef to talk about the program.

 

CTS gives books to not for profit schools – CTS chefs to contact schools and get their participation.  Nessa and Jonathan will broadcast on social networks and organize a Twitter contest.

 

New Business:

 

Representative from UBC farm (http://ubcfarm.ubc.ca/) asking for support for their new project (Robert B.)

 

-        Amanda Reaume, Development Officer, UBC Faculty of Land & Food Systems, amanda.reaume@ubc.ca

-        Jacob Slosberg, Annual Field Production Coordinator, jacob.slosbert@ubc.ca

 

Commitment from CTS to help promote sustainable food and assist UBC farm in spreading the message – letter from CTS to support initiatives, Amanda to prepare and send to Nessa for review by CTS.

 

Proposal for meeting date change (Celine) – the proposal is to remove the July meeting and have a meeting in August to prepare for the AGM in September.

APPROVED - August is in; July is out First: Jonathan Second: Rob; all in favor

 

Canadian Anti-Spam Legislation and how it effects the CTS (Nessa) – Nessa will be reviewing CTS responsibilities

 

Follow up on Insurance Coverage (Nessa) – add CTS name on the venue’s insurance (with liquor license) for the day and get a rider. CTS will get a $5mm policy and a commercial general liability insurance – 1 mm per board member 750/yr - 2 mm 1200 – voted on all approved

 

Participation in Celebration of Life for Owen Lightly was voted on by CTS board and agreement was given to cover venue cost and leftover amount to go to caterer (cost of labour only) for a commitment of $1600.

___________________________________________________________________________

Adjournment:  By: Scott Jaeger  At: 15h50

Next board meeting: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 @ Campagnolo at 14h00

Board Meeting Minutes

BOARD MEETING MINUTES

Date:               Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Location:         Campagnolo, 1020 Main St., Vancouver BC

Call to Order:  By: Scott Jaeger  At: 12h45

Roll Call:          By: Céline Turenne

 

Attendance:     Robert Belcham, Ned Bell, Ryan Bissell, Jonathan Chovancek, Robert Clark, Sid Cross, Scott Jaeger, Kyle Nordman, Katharine Manson, Jamie Maw, Céline Turenne, Nessa Van Bergen, Chris Whittaker

From TownHall Communications:  Leeann Froese and Sujinder Juneja

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from April 29, 2014

1st: Ned Bell

2nd: Scott Jaeger

____________________________________________________________________________

 

  1. Financial Report

 

Neil not in attendance; no report

 

  1. Membership Committee

 

No news from Alvin – no date confirmed, but still on table; suggested for Sunday evening after shift so chefs and cooks can attend after their shift; Julian want CTS back for membership drive.- all schools should be on roster.

 

Add jobs on the website (change format on web site to get alert for people looking for jobs) – Nessa to follow-up with Karen.

 

  1. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee

 

No update from Rob; Slow fish meeting with Nessa and Pacific Salmon Foundation – discussion on June 2 to see how CTS can match; Slow Fish month is October

 

  1. Marketing & Branding

 

No update; Sujinder from Townhall (with Leeann – amazing job for spot prawn festival) doing background work when Leeann is busy.

 

  1. Health & Wellness Committee

 

No update

 

  1. Spot Prawn Festival

 

Great work by everyone and very well attended!

 

Financial: 25k profit

Ticket sale:  1600

 

Feedback given at next board meeting – feedback from everyone is still needed – will be consolidated and sent under separate cover.

 

  1. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee

 

No report; Vista Doro on hold or just one day only.

 

New Business:

 

Bill 24 - Chefs4ARL: Thank you for attending media meeting - Great push!  Concern about the food – limited power but still want to be heard.  Next step:  tweet and keep pushing;  vote is scheduled for Thursday.  Congratulations to Scott for getting us involved!

Motion for funding for Chefs for Oceans: $2500 given PASSED and MOTION to re-assess at a later date and/or service or event funded by CTS – tie in with a fundraiser at the end TBC for CTS’ involvement;

Motion to follow up on liability insurance and insurance for board members - PASSED:  liquor line as well (this will include increase in general liability to 5 million)

Motion:  no other event until liability insurance is in place PASSED

 __________________________________________________________________________,_

Adjournment:  By: Scott Jaeger

At: 14h10

Next board meeting: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 @ Campagnolo

Board Meeting Minutes April 28, 2014

 BOARD MEETING MINUTES

Date:               Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Location:         Campagnolo, 1020 Main St., Vancouver BC

Call to Order:  By: Scott Jaeger  At: 14h08

Roll Call:          By:  Céline Turenne

Attendance:     Robert Belcham, Ned Bell Ryan Bissell, Robert Clark, Jonathan Chovancek, Scott Jaeger, Kyle Nordman, Celine Turenne,, Nessa Van Bergen, Chris Whittaker, Neil Wyles

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from March 25, 2014

1st:Robert Clark          2nd:Ryan Bissel

____________________________________________________________________________

  1.  Financial Report

Write off of cookbooks loss of 6k – books left will be signed and sold off at the Spot Prawns Festival on May 10.

 

  1. Membership Committee

Additional member recognition event suggested and planned by Alvin Pillay involving wineries. An additional sponsor would be involved in subsidizing event and increase appeal to CTS members.

 

  1. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee

Slow Fish update:  a draft was written by Rob and sent to Nessa for review and then send to membership to outline CTS participation in the Slow Fish movement.  Rob met with the SF national level and they are interested in moving forward with CTS.  It is suggested that a board member from CTS become a member of the Slow fish (membership paid by CTS) to show support and increase involvement.  It is also suggested that young chefs be sponsored to become members, their membership covered by CTS.

 

  1. Marketing & Branding

 Cookbooks signed by all attending chefs who have recipes. More signing will be done before the Spot Prawns Festival.  Nessa and Celine are coordinating.

Spot Prawns Festival Pre-event: membership recognition event on Monday May 5 from 6 to 9 pm; Rob Clark in attendance to discuss sustainability of spot prawns.  It is suggested that an educational aspect to be added to members event.  Constellation Wines is supplying wines.

Hogs and Hopps festival – to get information back from John Baldwin via Robert Belcham before CTS can proceed with approval of participation and involvement.

 

  1. Health & Wellness Committee

 Grouse Grind by Ned – small event to be done; activity base to move people; Ned to provide health and wellness articles to be posted on the CTS web site.

Chefs for ocean society:  Ned will be cycling across the country and holding events along the way - 14 events; September 11 final event at 4 Seasons in Vancouver; (chefsforocean.com).

 

  1. Spot Prawn Festival

 Website:  Spotprawnsfestival.com

 8th annual – gearing up for a big party in 2 years

Since the Spot Prawns Festival was created by CTS, it should always be mentioned as part of any promotion/material created.

Cookbooks will be sold at the festival:  $25 hardcover; $20 soft cover

Ned Bell is Emceeing – starts at 11h30; (will sell tuna ($10.00/can) to finance Chefs for Ocean Society)

Confirmed additional sponsors: Wine sponsor Mission Hill; Coffee:  Salt Spring Island; Terra Bread for buns; R&B for beer

Band to be confirmed – Nessa has information

Chefs participating in the boil: head shots and bios needed

Volunteers:  4 from Aquarium, 8 students needed per shift to set-up and breakdown, 6 people from the wharf for traffic/parking – someone to be in charge of volunteers.

 

  1. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee

Motion proposed by Scott  to give $500 to Michael Rosczell – motion passed (Robert Clark and Neil Wyles)

The BC Hospitality Foundation scholarship funds of $2500 (yet to be named) will still be used for a Stage based scholarship, with details and dates forthcoming.

 

New Business:

Send flowers to Mary – Scott to look after

Bill 24:  Concern about ALR – structured to 6 zones; re-assigning agricultural land;  photo campaign  farmland is important to us with logo; Scott to arrange for sign; # needed; let’s get aligned with someone.  Clearly stated message: Scott to take charge of message and setting up.

__________________________________________________________________________,_

Adjournment:  By:  Scott Jaeger

At:   15h19

Next board meeting:  Tuesday, May 27, 2014 @ Campagnolo

Board Meeting Minutes, January 28, 2014

BOARD MEETING MINUTES

  

Date:                 Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Location:       P.I.C.A.

                           1505, W 2nd Avenue

                           Vancouver BC

Call to Order:  By: Scott Jaeger

                               At:  15h02

Roll Call:          By:  Scott Jaeger

Attendance:    Robert Belcham, Ryan Bissel, Robert Clark, Scott Jaeger, Katharine Manson, , Kyle Nordman, Celine Turenne, Nessa van Bergen, Chris Whittaker, Neil Wyles

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from November 26, 2013

1st:  N/A

2nd: N/A

____________________________________________________________________________

1.  Financial Report

Neil commented that more revenues need to be generated.  Financial report not yet filed.

2.  Membership Committee

  • Chris and Kyle will meet in February to discuss plans for the new year.
  • Vintners Brunch, March 2, 2014:  CTS’ presence coordinated by Kyle; a table will be set-up with CTS banners (Jonathan has them)  - membership can be set-up on site.  Good potential for new members.
  • Successful visit of Art Institute of Vancouver by Robert Belcham.  More visits in the future as interest shown by the school to continue collaboration.
  • Students still get free 1st year membership, but renewal for subsequent years will be at regular fee with new code set-up in system by Nessa.
  • Celine and Nessa will work on re-organizing members’ list and coordinate approach to have members from prior years renew their membership.
  • Increase communication with members is needed to keep interest in CTS high. Automated emails set-up was done by Katharine in the past and those can be used. Currently an automated email is sent to new members.
  • Amex is still a problem with Paypal.  Members wishing to pay with Amex contact Nessa and she will process their transaction manually.  Nessa will unload and re-load the Paypal link so see if the problem is fixed.  She will work with Karen if not.

 3.  Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee

Robert Clark met with the Slow Fish group and gave a presentation.  He discussed how CTS and Slow Fish can move forward together.

The goal is to participate in events to raise money for Slow Fish but also accomplish other goals aside from fundraising.  CTS will get involved, but objectives need to be clear.

Robert will prepare something in writing for the web site to gauge membership’s interest in building a relationship with Slow Fish.  Nessa to post.

4.  Marketing & Branding

  • Curry Cup update from Kyle (email from Jonathan):  organization is well under way with restaurants and judges selections almost finalized.  Very good response from sponsors for set-up logistics and consumables.   Thank you to all board members who got involved in helping organize this event.  It will be one of the fund raisers for CTS and might be added to the annual events' list.  A premium of a CTS engraved wine glass will be offered to members who show up at the event and show their membership card.  At the event, a cheque for a sponsorship will be donated to Growing Chefs.  Growing Chefs' volunteers will work at the event.  Details will be posted on CTS web site and PR for the event will be made available as soon as most details are finalized.
  • Spot Prawns Festival pictures were requested by the Travel Network for their “Bizarre Food” show.  This show should air sometime in the Spring.

 5.  Health & Wellness Committee

       Ned was unable to attend – no report.

6.  Spot Prawn Festival 

  • Date to be confirmed as soon as possible since Nessa is getting requests from different organizations and individuals for planning purposes.  It will be held in May either week-end of 11th  or 18th.
  •  Chris sent a letter to Chris Sporer (Pacific Prawn Fishermen’s Association) for sponsorship.  He will follow-up and communicate their response.
  •  Planning should start now to have Festival's 10th year anniversary include personalities from West Coast area.

 7.  Fundraising/Scholarship Committee

Scott requested that more requests to be made for books from the Barbara Jo’s Scholarship.

New Business:

       Presentation from Streetsmart Canada did not take place.

__________________________________________________________________________,_

Adjournment:  By:  Scott Jaeger

At:   16h11

Next board meeting:  Tuesday, February 25, 2014

 

 

Board Meeting Minutes November 26, 2013

Date:               Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Location:         P.I.C.A. - 1505, W 2nd Avenue, Vancouver BC

Call to Order:  By: Scott Jaeger

At:  14h30

Roll Call:          By:  Jonathan Chovancek

Attendance:    Robert Belcham, Ryan Bissell, Julian Bond, Andrea Carlson, Jonathan Chovancek, Robert Clark, Sid Cross, Scott Jaeger, Kathryn Manson, Kyle Nordman, Nessa Van Bergen, Chris Whittaker

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from October 29, 2013

1st:  Nessa van Bergen

2nd: Sid Cross

____________________________________________________________________________

 

  1. Financial Report - Neil WylesUnable to attend - no report.  Nessa requires last year’s financials from Neil.  Expediting of this would be great. 
  2. Membership Committee – Kyle Nordman and Chris Whittaker We are currently at 108 active/76 inactive members as of November 2013.Jonathan and Robert B will go to A.I. to generate student membership. Students to be given free 2014 membership but no shirt.  Nessa to create a coupon code and send to Jonathan & Robert.  Hard cost of each new membership with t-shirt is $15 per person.

    Jonathan to do an email introduction to JC Felicella at VCC.

    Nessa to set up a new Pay Pal account with a link to pay membership dues with the reminder letter and will send email reminders to inactive/lapsed memberships. Membership Committee to follow up.

     

  3. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee – update from Rob ClarkRobert investigated the potential for partnership opportunities with SLOW FISH. There is a great opportunity to help build the infrastructure and network and to guide the organization to matters which meet the CTS’s ethical position and highlight smaller fisheries in need of global attention.Scholarship opportunities for members to travel to Italy with Slow Fish would add to the value of membership in the CTS.

    Robert would sit as the Slow Fish chair on the CTS board.

    Nessa to write a membership interest letter to asses CTS members interest in joining Slow Fish with the replies to go to Robert Clark and he will discuss the feedback at the next board meeting.

     

  4. Marketing & Branding – update from Robert BelchamThe last marketing meeting yielded a proposal for a new event to be held in March ‘The Curry Cup”.Jonathan & Kyle presented an overview of the event for approval to move forward with a formal event plan. Board unanimously voted to move forward.  Event plan to be reviewed outside of a formal meeting in early December so we can start event planning and marketing in early January.

     

  5. Health & Wellness Committee Unable to attend – no report. 
  6. Spot Prawn Festival – update form Ryan Bissell Volunteers needed to get rolling for Feb 1 2014.Can we get the Mayor and some Sustainable Celebrities to be part of the festival this year?

    Sid suggested a fundraiser attached to the festival with 4-6 high profile chefs doing a high ticket price dinner.

    Nikki Bailey from Eater wants to join the spot prawn committee.

     

  7. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee – update from Scott JaegerScott met with Lee Murphy of Vista D’Oro Farm/Winery to discuss a series of events to be held at the end of September 2014:  5 events over 5 nights, 50-100 guests. $150 per person ballpark.  Lee wants to provide wines and rentals.Sid suggested a Chef’s table at each dinner with premium wines and price.

    Suggested possible restaurants - Pear Tree, Okanagan Chefs, Joy Road Catering/ Jeff Van Geest, /Hawksworth

    Scott to work out event/ business plan

    New Business:

     

  8. Presentation by Mathew Dixon from Cowpower (www.cowpowerbc.com - see attachment for presentation details)

 

  1. Nessa to roll out a 2014 event calendar to organize volunteers and marketing.
  2.  Nessa moves to join Tourism Vancouver , Scott motions, Ryan seconds. Movement passes @ $284 for the year
  3.  Dish N Dazzle partnership- Nessa working on memoranda of understanding to forward to Scott to present to the board.
  4.  Nessa will send out the Board a list of 30 questions for a ‘Get To Know Your Board Better’ marketing segment. It will include a non PR picture.

____________________________________________________________________________

 

Adjournment:  By:  Scott Jaeger

At:   16:30

Next board meeting:  January 28, 2014

Board Meeting Minutes for October 29, 2013

Date:               Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Location:         P.I.C.A. 1505, W 2nd Avenue, Vancouver BC

Call to Order:  By: Scott Jaeger At:  14h05

Roll Call:          By:  Jonathan Chovancek

Attendance:    Robert Belcham, Jonathan Chovancek, Robert (Rob) Clark, Sid Cross, Scott Jaeger, Céline Turenne, Nessa van Bergen

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from September 24, 2013

1st:  Jonathan Chovancek

2nd: Robert Clark

____________________________________________________________________________

 

1.    Céline Turenne for Secretary Position

Motion unanimously accepted.

 

2.    Financial Report - Neil Wyles

Unable to attend

 

3.    Membership Committee

Unable to attend, update sent to Nessa.

Good sign up of new members at Member Appreciation Event held on September 29, 2013. students from Northwest Culinary Academy of Vancouver have indicated willingness to volunteer for various events/committees.

Follow-up on how to address lapsed memberships to be discussed at next board meeting.  Celine and Nessa volunteered to help if needed/required by committee chair.

 

4.    Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee – update from Rob Clark

Robert assessing if Slow Fish relationship with CTS would be a good fit. 

 

5.    Marketing & Branding – update from Robert Belcham

Expenditure for CTS promotional stickers approved; 2 categories: stickers to be included in the Barbara Jo’s scholarship books that are given out and general ones.  Small quantities to start, re-ordered as needed.

Robert and Kathryn met with Vancouver Magazine and relationship with CTS is being discussed with possible changes reviewed.  On-going conversation, will be updated at next board meeting.

 

6.    Health & Wellness Committee

Unable to attend

 

7.    Spot Prawn Festival

Unable to attend, update sent to Nessa

Volunteer needed for this committee.  Daryn from PICA indicated he wants to be involved to make execution easier (set-up at PICA).

 

8.    Fundraising/Scholarship Committee – update from Scott

Three $1500-scholarships were given:  one to Northwest Culinary Academy of Vancouver, one to Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts (PICA) and one to Carson High School.  In the future, one will be given to Red Seal applicant.

A Fall event is needed.  Scott is thinking of a farm set-up for a week with 2 to 3 chefs each night.  Tickets would be sold by third party with funds going to CTS.  Discussion and answer needed from board and to be added to January agenda.

 

9.    Hawksworth Young Chef Scholarship – event post mortem – Scott & Nessa

Congratulations to Paul Moran from Kelowna, 2013 Hawksworth Young Chef Scholarship recipient of a $10,000 offered by the Chefs’ Table Society.

All agreed it was a very successful event.  Involvement of CTS in future is agreed with contract and details to be finalized.  Brand exposure and logo placement to be reviewed to maximize visibility.  Fine-tuning of presentation to be worked on for next year’s event.  Any comments to be sent to Nessa.

Nessa suggested a letter be sent to all participants and a free membership be given for a year.

 

New Business:

10.  Presentation from Tarren Wolfe, Founder of Urban Cultivator

Sustainable, ecological and nutritional option to grow fresh herbs and micro-greens indoor.

For more information: www.urbancultivator.net; 1 877 352 0490

 

____________________________________________________________________________

 

Adjournment:  By:  Jonathan Chovancek

At:   15h47

 

Next board meeting:  November 26, 2013

Pages: 1 2 3 4