Board Meeting Minutes February 23, 2016

Date:                            Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Location:                      Campagnolo, 1020 Main St., Vancouver

Call to Order:              Scott Jaeger  at 2:01 pm

Roll Call:                       Céline Turenne

Board Attendance:        Robert Belcham, Ryan Bissell, Robert Clark, Darren Clay, Sid Cross, Scott Jaeger, Gus Stieffenhofer-Brandson, Celine Turenne, Chris Whittaker

Guests:                         Alex Tung, Kathleen Beveridge

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from January 26, 2016

1st:Sid ; 2nd: Robert B

______________________________________________________________

  1. Financial Report
  • $38.5 k in the bank + $8 k in Paypal = $46.5 k
  1. Membership
  • Lot more social medias for curry cup and promotion of event
  • All chefs at Curry Cup to become members
  • Celine to arrange for all chefs to follow up with participating chefs – include in the letter to be sent
  • Drive at Van Mag - Ask Jenni for a table for Chefs’ Table to sign up members
  1. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee
  • GFS, Sysco and Freshpoint (system to follow) – what they are doing to be sustainable and what can we do to streamline;
  • Gus to get info from his computer at AMS;
  • Work with restaurants to inform/act
  • TOTE presentation at the AGM – Albion started the process of sustainable deliveries
  1. Marketing & Branding
  • f/u Sid and Alex will be working together to come up with a new event for the Fall – adjourned to March meeting
  • Scout membership : renew ask; for free membership – Andrew Morrison to be contacted by Sid
  1. Curry Cup 2016
  • Andrea Carlson filled in for Josh Gale;
  • Robert B to follow-up on disposable dishes as no answer received to date from last year’s sponsor – no need, got compostable from ;
  • Sid suggested getting gift bags for participants (follow-up required – Celine): roasted chickpeas will be given;
  • Students from NWCV to volunteers
  • Suggestion from Sid to talk about curry at the event to inform public - Chris to review
  1. Spot Prawn Festival

Festival:

  • Members’ event after the spot prawn festival
  • Vancouver Tourism to be contacted and get on board
  • Discussion needed re: participating on competition with Global
  • $17.50 same as last year

Gala dinner:

  • Aquarium no; Vancouver Club – selected venue
  • Ticket price: 200.00
  • Black tie optional
  • Chefs selection – Rob C to confirm other chefs
    • Frank?
    • Vancouver Island?
    • Okanagan?
    • Ned has been invited
    • Chefs selection: hors d’oeuvre – select apprentices – canapé 3 chairs that have run the festival; apprentice from Hawksworth?
    • Dessert: ?
  • Season will open on Tuesday prior to event
  • Restaurants to participate in activities – Rob C to contact

FRIDAY:           Gala – proceeds to Oceawise

SATURDAY:     Cooking classes – proceeds to school

SUNDAY:         Festival – proceeds to CTS

  1. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee
  • No report
  1. Miscellaneous
  •  Invitation to Japan Consulate Event verify email addresses as mail is not getting through
  • VanMag Supplier award – new ownership; next couple of days; chose a product, a supplier; and forward the email to all – then send to Jenni – Grain; SEND EMAIL TODAY
  • Mental Health initiative – Scott’s topic – send information to all board members; set-up meeting with Alan; seminar every year and students can attend; hearing from people who have had challenges; health plan from CTS; presentation from insurance – review health offers; identifying problems; alcohol and drugs; EMAIL FORWARDED
  • Miscellaneous : insurance is at same rate as last year

_____________________________________________________________________

Adjournment:  Scott 15h02

Next meeting:  Tuesday March 29, 2016 at 14h00

Location:  Campagnolo, 1020 Main St.

 

Board Meeting Minutes January 26, 2016

Date:                            Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Location:                     Campagnolo, 1020 Main St., Vancouver

Call to Order:              Scott Jaeger at 14h00

Roll Call:                      Céline Turenne

Board Attendance:     Céline Turenne, Robert Belcham, Scott Jaeger, Neil Wyles, Sid Cross, Chris Whittaker, Darren Clay, Robert Clark (For SPF topic)

Guests:                         Alex Tung, Kathleen Beveridge

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from November 27, 2015 -   1st: Robert; 2nd: Chris

____________________________________________________________________________

Financial Report

  •  $41.5 K in the bank
  • HSBC bank reconciliation still pending

Membership

  • Social media will be done by Darren Clay to help keep CTS in the forefront.

Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee

  • Gus is in Winnipeg, no report.

Marketing & Branding

  • No plans for members’ events
  • Sid and Alex will be working together to come up with a new event for the Fall

Curry Cup 2016

  • To date, no female chef participating
  • Robert B to follow-up on disposable dishes as no answer received to date from last year’s sponsor;
  • Sid suggested getting gift bags for participants (follow-up required – Celine)

Spot Prawn Festival

Festival:

  • Cookie cutter based on last year’s event;
  • Invitations have been sent to political figures at municipal, provincial and federal level to be present/speaking at the SPF when the boats arrive;
  • Scott to talk to contact at Earls to see if their staff would volunteer at the boil (10 to 15)
  • Cooking classes at PICA on the Saturday (profit generating or donated);
  • Volunteer students: if cooking classes are happening, then do we need students from other schools?

Gala dinner:

  • location to be confirmed as initial talks with Aquarium have not led to securing the venue;
  • Scott to talk to Gus about hosting the event at Perch;
  • Out of town chefs to be invited to participate (work out hotel rooms and incidental expenses – 4 Seasons?, Sutton Place?);
  • Chefs who participate at dinner could reproduce their dish at the cooking stage at SPF
  • Rob is proposing a week-long celebration with restaurants featuring spot prawn dishes,
  • Global Television: contact to see if interested in working on a one-week competition featuring teens and chefs – see if Project Chefs or Growing Chefs are interested in participating;
  • All events to be added to the SPF web site;

Fundraising/Scholarship Committee

  •  No report
  • Alex wants to get more involved with the Fundraising/Partnership part of this; should a new chair be created for Corporate fundraising to bring in additional funds and create additional scholarships?
  • Avalon Dairy: Alex will see if and how we can partner with them;

Miscellaneous

  • Proposal by Len (from Sysco) to get more involved in CTS: how can Sysco get involved with CTS: education? Budget? Not determined yet to follow up and create a committee to work and see if/how,
  •  IT update of work done: Dominic, new IT is doing a great job at fixing little bugs and coming up with creative solutions; membership payment and renewal has been automated and electronic membership cards are next.
  •  Dish n’Dazzle chefs participation (last year’s participant) confirmed on behalf of BCHF.
  •  Governor General’s Prize: Okanagan winery is sponsoring the award next year, does CTS want to get involved for the next one?

___________________________________________________________________________________

Adjournment: Scott Jaeger @ 15h05

Next meeting: Tuesday February 23, 2016 at 14h00

Location: Campagnolo, 1020 Main St.

Board Meeting Minutes November 24, 2015

Date:                            Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Location:                     Campagnolo, 1020 Main St., Vancouver

Call to Order:             Robert Belcham at 14h01

Roll Call:                      Céline Turenne

Board Attendance:     Robert Belcham, Scott Jaeger,Céline Turenne, Darren Clay, Gus Stieffenhofer-Brandson, Chris Whittaker, Neil Wyles, Ryan Bissell

Guests:                         Dennis Green, go2HR

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from October 27, 2015 - 1st: Ryan; 2nd: Robert

_____________________________________________________________________________

1.Financial Report

  • $48.5 K in the bank
  • HSBC bank reconciliation still pending

2.Membership

  • 137 members
  • Corporate membership? decide on criteria (within mission statement) and fee for this level of membership – Darren and Robert to follow-up and work on defining criteria
  • Perks and benefits: add to offering Q1 2016
  • Web site to be re-visited and simplified – a decision to be made on whether or not to keep members walk-in and other functionalities
  • As of January 1, 2016, no more t-shirts will be mailed to new members - members can pick them up at events;
  • Céline working on call-out (via email) to lapsed members
  • Automatic renewal of membership is now operational and electronic membership cards will be finalized by Q1 2016

3. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee

  • main area: packaging in food distribution industry; work on ways to eliminate cardboard boxes; will be working with distributors and manufacturers –
  • Letter to Freshpoint (see Ryan) – returnable delivery boxes.
  • Céline to work with Gus – follow-up in January
  • farmed fish back east - gmo fish (next meeting) – find info and post
  • Shrimps in Ontario – find info and post

4. Marketing & Branding

  • Update on Members’ Event: January? See if any Chefs on book tour?
  • Response on plan by by Jan. 4 so email can go out to all members

5. Curry Cup 2016

  •  Date: Monday March 7, 2016
  • Location: Heritage Hall
  • Who has been; and members list; Céline to send to Chris
  • Posts on Scout; unsung hero kitchen helper; one of the competitor;
  • Same price as last year
  • Growing Chefs will receive the money – Céline to contact Growing Chefs and get one of their members in office to become a member
  • Contact Fred Lee to ask if he will emcee

6. Spot Prawn Festival

  • Date dinner: Saturday May 14
  • Festival: Sunday May 15
  • Chris to contact Jed Grieve (Cook Culture) to see if interested in sponsoring the cooking stage – Céline to send info to Chris
  • Ryan assigned dinner – 600 people?
  • Location: Vancouver aquarium

7. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee

  •  No report

8. Miscellaneous

  • 14h30: Dennis Green, go2HR presentation: Cook Labour Study Project
  • Dennis to send info to Céline for dissemination
  • Miscellaneous: approval given to renew insurance; information sent to lawyer for annual report.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Adjournment: Scott Jaeger @ 15h05

Next meeting: Tuesday January 26, 2016 at 14h00

Location: Campagnolo, 1020 Main St.

Board Meeting Minutes

Date:                             Tuesday October 27, 2015

Location:                     Campagnolo, 1020 Main St., Vancouver

Call to Order:            Scott Jaeger at 14h00

Roll Call:                      Céline Turenne

Board Attendance:     Robert Belcham, Andrea Carlson, Darren Clay, Scott Jaeger, Gus Stieffenhofer-Brandson, Céline Turenne

Guests:                         Kathleen Beveridge (Town Hall Communications),

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from September 28, 2015

1st:Scott; 2nd: Robert

________________________________________________________________________________

 

  1. Financial Report
  •  Accounting for 2014: still waiting for HSBC bank statements from Neil
  • 48.5k in bank accounts – few expenses pending

 

  1. Membership
  •  As of today: 73 chefs and 64 supporters = 137 members
  • November/December will be “renewal months” for lapsed member
  • Automate renewal in web site to facilitate process
  • Discussion on who gets memberships for free –
  • Get auto-renew operating again to facilitate management of membership (Email Stephanie to get information re web since Karen will no longer be managing it)

 

  1. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee
  •  Slow Fish Dinner final numbers: 5.5k profit
  • Appointment of Gus Stieffenhofer-Brandson as chair
  • Appointment of Andrea Carlson as co chair
  • Motion to accept 1st Robert 2nd Darren

 

  1. Marketing & Branding
  • Update on November Membership event: various locations looked at; this will have a budget of app 2.5k for about 50 people and media;
  • Vice-president Robert accepted
  • Motion by Scott; 1st: Darren 2nd: Gus
  • f/u with Robert re marketing activities

 

  1. Curry Cup 2016
  •  Date to be decided – plan a few weeks after wine festival; day to be on a Tuesday or Sunday
  • Email to Neil and Chris

 

  1. Spot Prawn Festival
  •  Update from conf call Ryan/Rob/Celine
  • Date is set for May 15 for Festival and May 14 for Gala (location to be decided: PICA, Aquarium,…).
  • Number of attendees to be confirmed
  • Speakers will be invited as this is the 10th anniversary
  • Looking for sponsorship for cooking stage: Andrea to follow up on contact with VanCity (Celine to follow-up)
  • More volunteers needed for the event as this will be the biggest one

 

  1. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee
  • Summary from Danny:

Since the AGM, the focus has been on finalizing the Chefs Table/BC Hospitality foundation entries, and selecting the winners.

I’m happy to report that three students were selected based on merit and their achievements. They are Shawna James from VIU,

Brittany Louie from Johnston Heights Secondary, and Mary Wan from the Arts Institute. The winning students were presented a cheque for 1500$ each at the Connect show breakfast last Monday.

BCHF has also reached out to add info to their website. I will get back to them with a follow up.

During the AGM last month, I spoke with Barbara Jo with regards to getting her store more exposure thru CTS, and how we could help get books into the hands of cooks.

This will be a work in progress…

  •  (BCHF said they would not pay accommodations and travel expenses in the future; use technology to get presence for out of town winners, if needed.

 

  1. Miscellaneous
  • Update on participation to Connect Show Oct. 18 and 19, 2015: 9 memberships ($315)+ many new contacts – all costs are covered $250 for booth set-up + $ parking/cabs = $310.00) – to be re-done next year, but chefs to attend
  • Update on Farms to Fork gala (Growing chefs auction) $375. For silent auction prize
  • The Vinegar Lady products received at Connect show given to board members for their review; Celine to email Vinegar Lady
  • Use of board titles/responsibilities from ex members: Leeann suggested she looks after it since from a PR point of view it can be confusing – message to all ex board members.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Adjournment:  Scott Jaeger at 1505

Next meeting:  Tuesday November 24, at 2 pm

Location:  Campagnolo, 1020 Main St.

Board Meeting Minutes

Date:                            Monday September 28, 2015

Location:                   Barbara Books to Cooks, 1540 W. 2nd Avenue, Vancouver

Call to Order:           Scott Jaeger at 14h02

Roll Call:                     Céline Turenne

Board Attendance:  Robert Belcham, Ryan Bissell, Darren Clay, Sid Cross, Scott Jaeger, Jamie Maw, Danny Markowicz, Céline Turenne, Chris Whittaker, Neil Wyles

Guests:                          Kathleen Beveridge (Town Hall Communications),

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from August 25, 2015

1st: Scott; 2nd: Ryan

____________________________________________________________________________________

 1. Financial Report

  •  Accounting for 2015 has been re-done; 2014 still under work
  • 50k in bank accounts – some expenses pending

 

  1. Membership
  •  Follow-up on new members
  • Automate renewal in web site to facilitate process

 

  1. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee
  •  Slow Fish Dinner Overview (Sept. 27, 2015)
  • Sold out event – plan for same timing for next year
  • Great committee worked on event and on board for next year
  • Link with sommelier to serve wine in each kitchen (work with Leeann)

 

  1. Marketing & Branding
  •  New stickers and t-shirts received; stickers will be given at all events;
  • November Membership event: Scott Jaeger and Robert Belcham to chair:  use as recruiting event, format to be confirmed
  • $1k budget (if needed)

 

     5.Curry Cup 2016

  •  Chris and Neil to co-chair
  • Location: Heritage Hall
  • Date to be decided – plan a few weeks after wine festival; day to be on a Tuesday or Sunday
  • Alumni judging panel to be set-up (ask previous winners)
  • Media panel to maximize media exposure

 

  1. Spot Prawn Festival
  •  10th Anniversary planning
  • Ryan and Rob Clark to co-chair
  • Chris will contact Jed Grieve (cooks culture) re: demo kitchen sponsorship
  • Vancity to be contacted for sponsorship as well
  • Set date for Spot Prawn Festival + gala
  • Enter to win a physical way to win: ways to enter the contest
  • Set committee

 

  1. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee
  •  Update on scholarships to be awarded at Connect Show: 65 school/instructor contacted with only 10 replies

 

  1. Miscellaneous
  • Executive Director position motion vote: accepted motion 1st Robert; Second: Ryan
  • Participation to Connect 18 and 19, 2015
  • Farms to Fork (Growing chef auction) – Celine to attend

___________________________________________________________________________________

Adjournment:  Scott Jaeger at 15h00

Next meeting:  Tuesday October 27, at 2 pm

Location:  Campagnolo, 1020 Main St.

Annual General Meeting 2015 Minutes

Date:                   Monday, September 28, 2015

Location:          Barbara Jo’s Books to Cooks – 1740 W. 2nd Avenue, Vancouver

Call to Order By Scott Jaeger at 15h00

Roll Call: By Céline Turenne

In attendance: Robert Belcham, Ryan Bissell, Darren Clay, Sid Cross, Scott Jaeger, Danny Markowicz, Jamie Maw, Céline Turenne, Chris Whittaker, Neil Wyles,

Guests: Leeann Froese (Townhall Communications), Kathleen Beveridge (Townhall Communications) Barb Finley, Brandon Pirie, Alex Tung, Charles Miller, Daniel Oong, Gus Stieffenhofer-Brandson, Victor Girardi

Approval of AGM Minutes:  September 29, 2014

Motion to approve by Céline Turenne; 1st: Ryan Bissell; 2nd: Sid Cross

___________________________________________________________________________________

  1. President's report – Scott Jaeger
  • Welcome to all attending and reminded everyone that all board meetings are open to the members and the public.
  • Thank you to Barbara Jo for the use of her store to hold CTS board and AGM meetings as well as for the Barbara Jo’s Scholarship program.
  • Very happy with the board’s energy. A great year with 3 public events:  Curry Cup, Spot Prawn Festival and Slow Fish Dinner.  Thank you to all chairs and committee members.
  • Welcome officially to the Executive Director, Céline Turenne, who has been in the role for the last year.
  • All members who want to get involved in committees or with the board are welcome!
  1. Presentation of un-audited 2015 Financial Statements – Neil Wyles
  • Positive balance of 50k with additional revenues generated by this year’s events.
  1. Secretary's report – Céline Turenne
  • Meetings will be scheduled for the last Tuesday of every month except for December and July. All members and members of the public who want to attend are welcome, with notice to Secretary.
  • Lawyer’s office will prepare and file Annual Report upon receiving minutes from the AGM and membership list.
  1. Presentations from Committee Chairs:
  • 2015 Spot Prawn Festival Committee – Ryan Bissel
  • Successful 2015 Festival – largest attendance and profits - will be expanded in vision and scope for 2016 to include a gala and a festival;
  • Dates will be confirmed in advance of season’s launch to help secure sponsors and finalize details;
  • Planning will start next month (October);
  • Wharf donation will increase in 2016;
  • Demo kitchen location will be changed to allow better flow;
  • Robert Clark is co-chair for the 10th anniversary Festival;
  • Looking forward to working with committee to expand Festival.
  • 2015 Curry Cup Committee – Jonathan Chovancek/Kyle Nordman (no report given)
  • Very successful event with 2k cheque given to Project Chef;
  • New chair for 2016 – Chris Whittaker;
  • Location will probably be maintained at Heritage Hall;
  • Pricing to be reviewed;
  • Event will be held around mid-March
  • 2015 Slow Fish Dinner – (report given by Céline Turenne)
  • Sold out second annual Slow Fish Mystery Dinner was held on September 27
  • Fishers and farmers present to talk about their products
  • Is now scheduled as annual CTS event
  • Branding & Marketing Committee - Robert Belcham
  • 1 successful members event: post Spot Prawn Festival event at the wharf;
  • New CTS stickers launch;
  • Katharine Manson’s work to be replaced. Call out for more volunteers in social media and graphic design.  Volunteers to contact info@chefstablesociety;
  • Robert will work on securing grants to propel CTS forward and increase exposure.
  • Membership Committee – Kyle Nordman & Chris Whittaker
  • No activities during the year; the membership has been looked after by Interim Executive Director;
  • New Chair: Darren Clay
  • Scholarship Committee – Danny Markowicz
  • 3 scholarships to be given out in conjunction with BC Hospitality Foundation for a total of 4.5k;
  • 65 letters sent out to secondary and post-secondary institutions for scholarship application, only 10 applications received.
  • Sustainability Committee – Andrea Carlson (no report)
  1. Townhall Communications report

Binder regrouping events’ coverage for the year has been presented to board and members as well as PowerPoint presentation highlighting major coverage items.

  1. 2014/2015 Board resignation

All board members resigned their current position on the Board

  1. 2015/2016 Board nomination and election

President: Scott Jaeger

Past President:

Vice-President:

Treasurer: Neil Wyles

Secretary: Céline Turenne

Chairs:  Robert Belcham, Ryan Bissell, Robert Clark, Darren Clay, Danny Markowicz, Chris Whittaker

Executive Director:  Céline Turenne

Advisors:  Sid Cross, Jamie Maw

Motion to approve new Board slate by Céline Turenne: 1st: Danny Markowicz; 2nd: Robert Belcham

____________________________________________________________________________________

Meeting Adjournment by Scott Jaeger at 16h00

Board Meeting Minutes

Date:                            Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Location:                     Campagnolo, 1020 Main Street

Call to Order:            Céline Turenne at 14h03

Roll Call:                      Céline Turenne

Board Attendance:    Robert Belcham, Scott Jaeger, Danny Markowicz, Céline Turenne, Neil Wyles

Guests:                         Kathleen Beveridge (Town Hall Communications),

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from June 30, 2015

1st:Neil; 2nd: Robert

____________________________________________________________________________________

 

  1. Financial Report
  •  Cash on hand 48k
  • all data entered into accounting software for 2015
  • Financial documents available and current – 2014 still pending (awaiting data from accountant’s computer
  1. Membership
  •  Current count: 115 members
  • 40 new members since January
  1. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee
  •  Slow Fish Dinner (Sunday, September 27, 2015) – need one more chef; all wine is donated (except for sparkling for reception); salmon-safe farms have been contacted to provide produce (donation or discount at farm’s discretion); discount being negotiated for additional rentals;
  1. Marketing & Branding
  •  Status of shirts’ order: ordered – no GST/PST to pay (part of a special)
  1. Curry Cup 2016
  • Date to be discussed (Kyle and Jonathan) –Kyle indicated in an email that he does know if it is coming back – no update
  1. Spot Prawn Festival
  •  10th Anniversary planning – Robert Clark is on board; Celine to handle logistics as in 2014; committee will be operational starting October 1, 2014
  1. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee
  •  Danny is working with BCHF re: CTS scholarships to be handed out at Connect show
  • Contacted Dennis Green at Go2hr for contacts
  1. Miscellaneous
  • AGM: Date - Monday September 28
  • Summary preparation required from all chairs, president, vp, treasurer, secretary
  • Send announce to Scout (Town Hall)
  • Location: Barbara Jo - Celine to ask and follow-up;
  • board members participation (who is staying on) – send email
  • new members: Darren Clay (PICA) has indicated that he would like to join the board;
  • Executive Director position vote – Scott to send email to board for vote
  • Participation to Connect 18 and 19, 2015: booth requested; Celine will follow-up and set-up
  • Mealshare request for participation – guest for AGM? – Celine to follow-up
  • Growing Chef silent auction price: CTS basket to be offered (similar to last year’s)
  • BC Restaurant Hall of Fame gala participation – 2k – board to attend?; Sept. 28; Celine to follow-up with Impact event.
  • Miscellaneous: web page and other service review with Karen Hamilton to maximize results and minimize maintenance – looking at electronic membership card; auto-renewal; private group on Facebook; etc...

____________________________________________________________________________________

Adjournment:  By: Scott Jaeger at 15h10

Next board meeting: MONDAY September 28, 2015 at 14h00

Location: Barbara Jo’s Books to Cooks

Board meeting minutes

Date:                            Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Location:                    Campagnolo, 1020 Main Street

Call to Order:            Scott Jaeger at 14h01

Roll Call:                    Céline Turenne

Board Attendance:        Andrea Carlson, Scott Jaeger, Danny Markowicz, Céline Turenne

Guests:                         Kathleen Beveridge (Town Hall Communications), John Blakeley (Pastis Restaurant)

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from May 26, 2015

1st: Scott; 2nd: Danny

____________________________________________________________________________________

 

  1. Financial Report

-         F/U on GST liability: work in progress; waiting on accountant’s paperwork to verify filing to date;

-         > $50K in RBC accounts

 

  1. Membership Committee

-         Emails to be sent by Céline to all lapsed members (include link and logon name to facilitate process);

-         111 members in good standing (includes PICA student volunteers from SPF)

 

  1. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee

-         Slow Fish Dinner (Sept. 27, 2015) – Ned is planning to organize the meeting shortly to get the ball rolling!

-         Buy tickets for Growing Chefs for auction at Slow Fish event (TBC)

 

  1. Marketing & Branding

-         Order of chefs’ t-shirts:  L, XL and XXL only – quantities sent to Robert, waiting for quote;

-         Stickers picked-up; will be launched at AGM

 

  1. Spot Prawn Festival

-         10th festival planning: Ryan has tentatively agreed to chair the committee pending further developments. Committee to confirm;

-         Master plan to be sent out by Céline.

 

  1. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee

-         Scholarship application from KP sent to Danny;

-         Danny to contact Barbara Jo to organize meeting with Scott

 

  1. Miscellaneous

-         Participation to Connect  Oct. 18 and 19, 2015 – Céline to send another email to Samantha.

-         AGM date: Monday September 28 (TBC) – board meeting – new board member wanted

-         Executive Director position: job description and draft of contract given to Scott – position to be offered to Céline - to be voted on at August Board Meeting;

-         Send request from Nature’s Path information to Scott

____________________________________________________________________________________

Adjournment:  By: Scott Jaeger at 14h40

Next board meeting: Tuesday August 25, 2015 at 14h00

Location:  Campagnolo, 1020 Main St.

Job postings – Growing Chefs!

Growing Chefs! is growing!

If you, or someone you know, is interested in joining our team working to teach kids and families about healthy food and healthy food systems, we're hiring for two positions:

1) Fund Development/Marketing Assistant - Apply by July 9th
Part-time at 20 hours/week
 - possibility of full-time work combined with part-time position with Athletics For Kids

We are looking for an individual who is passionate about promoting food sustainability, local and urban agriculture, and children’s health. In this key support role, the successful candidate will work with the Executive Director to support and promote our fundraising and marketing efforts. It will offer the successful candidate an inside view of the workings of a registered charity and experience applicable to both the for-profit and non-profit sectors.

The anticipated start date is July 30th, 2015. This position is based in Vancouver, B.C.

Click here to see a more comprehensive job description and application information 

2) Acting Executive Director
13 month term beginning November 2, 2015; Full-time at 35 hours/week

Growing Chefs! is looking for a highly qualified individual who is passionate about food sustainability and working with children and who can lead our organization while our Executive Director takes a year’s maternity leave.

The role of the Acting Executive Director is to manage the full scope of operations of Growing Chefs! under the direction and governance of the Board of Directors. In this key leadership role, the successful candidate will work with the Board of Directors to lead our organization, guided by a strategic plan that we have in place. The Acting Executive Director will manage our annual schools programs, develop and maintain fundraising activities, and manage two paid staffers and a team of about 200 volunteers. As a small but growing organization, responsibilities include everything from stewarding our supporters and funders to collecting and cleaning school supplies.

The position offers the successful candidate an opportunity to use your executive-level experience leading a non-profit organization and to apply your hands-on skills in managing and growing a successful, established program. It also offers a highly rewarding personal experience in a caring, supportive environment.

Full position description and details to apply can be found here.

Thanks again!
Helen Stortini
Executive Director
Growing Chefs! Chefs For Children's Urban Agriculture

Board Meeting Minutes – May 26 2015

Date:                 Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Location:           AMS Student Nest, 6133 University boul.

Call to Order:   Scott Jaeger at 14h16

Roll Call:           Céline Turenne

Attendance:     Robert Belcham, Ryan Bissell, Sid Cross, Scott Jaeger, Danny Markowicz, Céline Turenne

Guests:              Kathleen Beveridge (Town Hall Communications), Amy Chen (Town Hall Communications), Leeann Froese (Town Hall Communications)

Approval of Board Meeting Minutes from April 28, 2015

1st: Scott ; 2nd: Robert

____________________________________________________________________________________

  1. Financial Report

-         HSBC account has been emptied out with 2 payments to SPF (verify balance with Neil)

-         F/U on GST liability

  1. Membership Committee

-         Results of mailing to lapsed members:  only 10 renewals; Celine to follow-up by sending personal emails to all with log-in name to facilitate renewal.

  1. Sustainability/Growers/Green Initiatives Committee

-         Slow Fish Dinner (Sept. 27, 2015) – Scott, Jonathan, Robert C., Chinese chefs?

-         Ned Bell will chair committee

  1. Marketing & Branding

-         How to decrease bags inventory: include with purchase of tickets in Sept and March events?

-         Order of chefs’ t-shirts:  L, XL and XXL only? Celine to send t-shirts quantity to Robert for quote.

-         Stickers:  send an email to Katharine re stickers

  1. Spot Prawn Festival

-         Post Mortem:  overall, a very successful event great atmosphere – highest number served and highest revenues;

-         Celine will prepare a written logistic document to add to Spot Prawn prep binder for next year recapping this year’s set-ups in all areas for reference;

-         Refrigerated truck was a great asset to have on site;

-         Review equipment needs and streamlined orders;

-         Keep Rational oven for speed but have a boil going for (name of event);

-         Prepping off site at AMS made food prep easy and fast;

-         Spruce up look of deck and add seats/high tops;

-         Discuss side dishes and review costs (avocadoes too expensive) – see if we can get sponsors for vegetables;

-         Comments: need more signage to indicate where check-in is and process to check in;

-         Time slots worked well as did bracelet and tickets for meal and alcohol samples;

-         Suggestion: selling ice instead of beer – sell from the dock? Permit for selling? Part of business license – follow-up required for next year.

-         Add head chef or maitre d’ (team to work on flow) to direct crowd

-         Cooking stage signage: schedule – large sign with time/name;

-         Media coverage review: SPECIAL MENTION TO TOWNHALL for great effort on getting media coverage before, during and after the festival.

-         Townhall toast to the team!

-         10th festival planning will start next month; chair and committee to confirm;

  1. Fundraising/Scholarship Committee

-         New Chair: Danny Markowicz

-         Hawksworth Scholarship: final word – email received from Brody Jones confirming that CTS will be considered Founding partner on web site

  1. Miscellaneous

-         Participation to Connect  Oct. 18 and 19, 2015 – Celine to send another email to Samantha.

-         Participation in Nathan’s Fong PASSIONS, Sunday September 13, 2015 – f/u with Nathan required – Celine to send another email (replied to Nathan’s) saying that CTS will not be offering an auction prize;

-         Herring Conservation Dinner: next year yes but too late for this year’s event.  Celine to send an email that we will pass for this year based on timing, but would like to start conversation early for next year’s.

-         Project Chef:  cheque giving ceremony at the Junior Curry Cup; media handled by Town Hall.

-         AGM date: September – board meeting – new board member wanted

-         Partners offers/process: need to develop a plan to work out partnering with vendors/suppliers – define what it really means for the company and CTS and its members.  A new chair on the board could be created to look after sponsor relations.  To be discussed further.

-         Executive Director position: job description to be given to Scott; meeting to be organized by Scott to further the discussion.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Adjournment:  By: Scott Jaeger at 15h40

Next board meeting: Tuesday June 30, 2015 at 14h00

Location:  Campagnolo, 1020 Main St.

 

Pages: 1 2